PDA

View Full Version : CA27.29 ups & downs

Myra Lynn
06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Hello to everyone,
I am wondering what you might think or know of this: I am having follow-up blood tests and physical exams every 3-4 months. For some unknown reason the CA27.29 numbers are going up and down on blood tests, above the normal range and then down again. The first time the number went up, it was immediately after completing Herceptin. The onc insisted on a PET/CT scan and it indicated a hot spot (he thinks due to radiation tx.), and nothing showed on the CT scan. This month the number is up again, so I am repeating the blood test next week. It is making me anxious, but I don't know if it's anything to worry about since there is no clear pattern or progression. Anyone have experience with this or any thoughts on the matter?

Becky
06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
My CA 27/29 is all over the place. I just went to the onc on Monday and I am awaiting my result. The last one was 19 but it had been 8 before and 11, 22, 29, 16 - I know its different than you - always under the magical 38. Alot of things can affect the CA#. Even caffeine consumption.

Myra Lynn
06-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Becky. All of my blood test numbers are all over the place too, above and below the norm, but this one , when it exceeds 38, is raising concern. I don't know if there is really a "magic number" that predicts metastasis. I doubt it or else we would all know a lot more a lot sooner. Just don't know what to think.

Myra Lynn
07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
My CA27.29 numbers started inching up, right after finishing Herceptin. Had a PET scan in Oct. 2010, but nothing conclusive. The numbers continue to rise, so now I am scheduled this Sat. for a Head MRI and later a PET scan. Still can't believe it.

Tried editing my profile, but can't seem to save it. Can someone help?

Jackie07
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Myra,

I hope the scan gives you good news.

As for the signature, try change it to smaller size of font before 'save'.

Myra Lynn
07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the help and the kind thoughts.

Pray
07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi Myra,

Good luck to you on your scans!

In your signature you say your middle finger hurts, why is that? Is it because of the famara?

Ishy

Myra Lynn
07-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks Ishy. I so appreciate the support. Yes, it was from femara. Very severe pain. Took a month off; switched to Arimidex. Still a little swollen, but tolerable.

sassy
07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey Myra,

Are you trying to change your profile(this info is not shown on screen) or trying to change your Signature (details that are listed below your name after posts)?

Let me know and maybe I can help.

Myra Lynn
07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Sassy,
I'm trying to change my signature. I have lost the sense of where that is and how you do it.
Your help is very welcome.

Jean
07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Myra,
As Becky shared the CA 27-29 can be diverse but it is wise
to do another blood test. So much can effect the numbers.
As far as the pain in your finger.

Have you tried or thought of taking a joint supplement such as Cosamin DS (can be purchased in CVS). I take one tablet in the morning and one at night. It is amazing and may just do the trick for that finger.

Sending you positive energy for the scans. Please let us know how it goes.

jean

KristinSchwick
07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
My oncologist said that in the first month after starting my therapy- Xeloda and Tykerb, don't be surprised if the number jumps up alot. He said that if a bunch of cancer cells die simultaneously, the Ca2729 number would increase and then in the following month it will stabilize and start to fall. So I guess, the Ca2729 test can fluctuate based on growth/death rates of the cancer. Hope that helps.

Myra Lynn
07-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone,
I don't know if it's exactly the same substance as Cosamin DS, but I also highly recommend glucosamine sulfate.
The MRI to my head came back negative. I asked for it because of the CA27.29 numbers and ongoing problems with vertigo. The PET/CT scan is Sat. All positive energy is most appreciated!

chrisy
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Sending positive thoughts for the Pet/CT. Glad to hear there is nothing in your head:)

Myra Lynn
07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
You got that one right, Chrisy!
Thanks for the well-placed humor. And just to add to the fun, I am right in the middle of the prep for a colonoscopy. (Got any more bad jokes?)
I don't know how I would manage without all of you!!

Myra Lynn
07-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Good news! The PET scan was completely clear. Will take another blood test end of August and take it from there. I am so relieved and grateful to all of you for your support. I don't know what I would do without you.

Jackie07
07-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.