PDA

View Full Version : My sis asked me to ask all of you a question.

ammebarb
06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I had written a while back that she was having some urinary urgency while on herceptin and then there was a study that was posted that confirmed this side effect. Well, she has been done with her Herceptin for about nine months and her urgency is some better, but not gone. She wonders if anyone else has had that difficulty and if it resolves on it's own, or is always a problem. She is a nurse and knows that the problem may be caused by a "fallen" bladder, not related to Herceptin at all. In this case, she will need to see a urologist. Any input?

Barb A.

CoolBreeze
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Barb,

I've never heard of that, nor have I experienced it. I am sorry that your sister is going through it, it just be disturbing. I would probably just so see the urologist. Hopefully, somebody else here has more help for you.

tricia keegan
06-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Sorry I cant help Barb but agree an appt with the Urologist may help!

I have an older sister who did'nt have bc but has this problem and has seen numerous Dr's over the years and never found a solution so wishing your sis well.

Laurel
06-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Barb,

I experienced that symptom during Herceptin treatment and for many months afterwards. To this day I really must empty my bladder more frequently and not wait until it becomes urgent, or I am at risk of a dribble that turns into a flood. I think this is now due to my post menopausal self and the changes that occur to our urogenital region due to vaginal atrophy that accompanies low estrogen levels. Mine is compounded by the aromatase inhibitor that I take because I am ER/PR positive. I suggest your sister be attentive to the signals her body provides as her bladder fills and to go to the rest room prior to having a very full bladder. It does get better as time goes on simply because (I think) we learn to accommodate our changing selves.

Jackie07
06-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi,

The link below mentions some of the factors which cause the problem. Notice that 'elderly women' = women in chemopause. And chemotherapy would include Herceptin even though we call it a biological therapy.

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/urinary-tract-infection.asp

I've experienced so many episodes - each time taking 10-day antibiotics after the lab confirms infection. Now I take a 1680 mg Cranberry pill daily (3 times a day if seeing something suspecious.)

ammebarb
06-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks so much for the replies, ladies.