PDA

View Full Version : Implant problems?

harrie
06-25-2011, 12:55 AM
I just read an article in yesterday's paper saying the FDA is warning that 1 in 5 women will have problems with their implants within 10 yrs. Do any of you with implants get regular scans? I have implants and this was not a recommendation for me.

Sheila
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Harrie
I just read an article and spoke with a surgeon who said the life of an implant is about 10 years...with all the advances in breast cancer treatments, we are outliving our implants....they probably never expected that, and it isnt like replacing tires on a car, another surgery to replace....I get regular scans, but not because of my implant....I did have an issue of possible leaking, but it resolved so nothing was done.

ammebarb
06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Only ten years, wow! Mine is twenty six years old and I've never had a problem. Now, I've probably jinxed myself and the next thing I'll be writing that I've had to have a replacement! An acquaintance had hers leak just months after placement and had an additional surgery to fix it. She's not had any trouble since that I've heard about. I guess I can't complain about a 26 year run on one implant, huh?

Barb A.

Laurel
06-26-2011, 06:09 PM
At my breast center they monitor how long they have been in place. It is recommended by the manufactures to have an MRI every 3 years. I had asked the plastic surgeon who would order that for me and he did not seem to know. I have kept the date tucked in my brain, but never even needed to mention it. At my last follow up visit with my breast surgeon her nurse checked my "install date" and announced that I would be having an MRI before my return visit in 6 months.