PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Grass

pibikay
05-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Are there any posts in the forum on the inclusion of wheat grass in the die for Her2neu+++.I read that it has some anti cancer properties

Jackie07
05-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Below is the wheat grass information listed on the American Cancer Society site:

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/DietandNutrition/wheatgrass

There's a recipe on the Coconut oil thread provided by Cal-Gal that requires wheat grass:

"I have been using Coconut oil in my VitaMix shakes--about 3 times a week--

1 Frozen organic banana
1 Cup organic Keifer
2 Tbsp. ground organic flaxseed meal
1 Heaping Tbsp. organic refined coconut Oil
1 Packet of Amazing Grass-organic Wheat Grass mixed w/1/4-1/2 cup of cold water

Put all of that in the VitaMix--blend for maybe 20 seconds---

Of course you can add another fruit if you wish, sometimes I add fresh organic figs or berries---depends---

YUMMY!!!!"

Deb33
06-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I have been drinking 2 oz of wheatgrass 5 x a week during chemo and have been able to limit my red blood cell drop.

ElaineM
06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Wheat grass has alot of chlorophyll like other dark green grasses and dark vegetables. I have been taking a small amount of it everyday for 12 1/2 years. Sometimes I take a couple tablets, sometimes I add a little powder to smoothies. Once in awhile I get the juice if it is available at a juice bar.
Some naturopathic practioners believe the chlorophyll is beneficial to hemoglobin.

Jackie07
06-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Glad you'd mentioned about the benefit of chlorophyll. A junior high friend (7th and first half of the 8th Grade) in Taiwan just sent me a big pakage of [Purple] unsalted sea weed (Nori) harvested in China. She mailed it to me in a USPS flat rate box from Seattle where she's visiting two of her sisters.

The plain, natural nori is good for making soup. Just boil two, three cups of water, throw in the sea weed, 'stir' in an egg and cook for 1 minute before sprinkle some chopped green onion. Add salt and pepper for taste.

Never have had 'Wheat Grass'. But according to Wikipedia, it's very good for patient undergoing chemotherapy:

Skin Conditions

Wheatgrass also appears to be beneficial to skin irritation and toxicity reactions, according to a study published in the Journal of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society. Drs. Wheat, Currie, and Coulter used a wheatgrass poultice to treat the skin degradation observed when cancer patients receive radiation (which passes through the skin to the tumor cells, and can cause side effects including skin ulceration and sloughing). In their placebo-controlled, double-blind study, they found that wheatgrass juice significantly decreased the incidence of skin degradation, and they suggest that wheatgrass may have applications to non-radiation related skin conditions.
Blood Health

Chemotheraputic agents destroy cancer cells as well as other rapidly-dividing cells, including blood cells, meaning that patients undergoing chemotherapy must also be treated with drugs to speed the rate of blood cell proliferation. A team of researchers led by Dr. Bar-Sela conducted a study to determine whether wheatgrass juice supplementation might reduce the hematotoxic (blood-damaging) effects of chemotherapy, with significant and positive results. The group found that patients supplemented with the juice required fewer traditional blood-stimulating pharmaceuticals than patients receiving placebos. While the researchers did not propose a mechanism to explain this effect in their report, greens such as wheatgrass are high in antioxidant chemicals, which are known to reduce cellular toxicity of DNA-damaging molecules.
Nutrients

Wheatgrass is full of vitamins (http://www.livestrong.com/vitamins/), minerals, and other important nutrients, according to Steve Meyerowitz, a scientist and home-grower of wheatgrass. Meyerowitz has assayed the grass for its macronutrient, vitamin and mineral content, and has found it to be high in protein (http://www.livestrong.com/protein-food-sources/), equivalent to broccoli in vitamin A, higher than many other vegetables in phosphorus, and higher in iron than spinach (which is commonly regarded as a good vegetable source of iron).

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/112295-health-benefits-wheat-grass-juice/#ixzz1Oer1jevr

pibikay
08-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks Grantes

ElaineM
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the wheat grass and soup recipes. I am going to try both. I use wheat grass and put dehydrated wakame seaweed in soups.