PDA

View Full Version : Implant problems

MCS
05-29-2011, 11:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago, my right implant, saline, which was placed in 2006 is sagging down and moving toward the right side. This causes a concave indentation in the center that when I wear my normal bra which has minimal padding and definitely no underwire also caves in and this is how I first noticed the problem because my sweater top caved in

First of all, I need to add that I have a high reputation plastic surgeon. I have a left implant too after my elective mastectomy; and the implant put in by the same surgeon.

And lastly, in my "nomal" life pre bc, I had two rasins on a breadboard so I decided I wanted to keep the same, since honestly I was scared to go bigger and really I would not know what to do with them. With that said, I still look I have some breasts now.

My right breast has 150cc and left breat has 165 cc. The reason was the cavity side between the two breasts.

My implant is not deflated or deflating and it has the normal rippling you get with saline implants and I massage them every day so they wil not harden.

I don't do exercise like weight lifting, or any other extreme exercise that would cause this problem. I do zumba every once in a while but I use a good support bra crossing in the back- don't feel any pounding at all.

Now the plastic surgeon has given me the following choices:

1. Go in and suture the muscle on the right side to give it more support. Remove it, inflate it and put it back in. Get a drain

2. Same as above but use ADM cells, which are dead structure cells wich places support and get a drain

3. Put a whole new implantand still keep the sutures and the risk is that this new implan will leak sooner simply because it's defective. It is said that if an implant lasts more than five years, it's less likely to leak ( like mine now). Also a drain

4. Do nothing. This leaves me with to deal with the fact that the concave still there

5. Take it out an use an insert. One of our sisters wrote about the coobie bra which has an insert. Actually, I was planning to make my own cotton shaped inserts and attach it to all my bras. This does does not solve bathing suits etc

Since this is elective I have time to choose. I definitely would not not choose the ADM solution, just on the insignificant risk that there may be any cancer cells on the graft.

In addition, my elderly mother is going through laser treatments for glaucoma that are not expected to succeed which means that surgery will follow in later summer. While she's recovering, I will be moving to her house. She's 81. And I have not told her about this because I think it would break her down and I need her "up" for the procedures

In addtion, I'm looking for a job, although unlikely I will (thanks to our wonderful economy) when do I do this?

So there's never a good time for more bad times

If I choose to get a new implant, I would have to go through the drain again. And I don't know the risks of this leaking

If I choose to just add more saline and the suture, what's the risk of leaking? I understand that is just adding to the valve

I have been wearing the light impact bras at night now and I wear another soft ligth impact bra during the day which although makes me look like 12 years old, still better than the bra sinking in.

I also don't know how bad it will get with that breast as it continues to sag and slide. Almost like natural breast, isn't it?

I have no clue if this has happened to anyone of you. If you have experienced this, I would appreciate your advice

Please put your two cents on this. God, this misery is never over till all is really over. I know that compared to what I and you have gone through, and others are going through now, this is pure vanity and crap but I still want to hear from you and think of it this way, others in the future may be in the same position

Thank you everyone of you

xoxo

maria

Jackie07
05-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Maria,

I'm sorry to hear the problems you've been having with the implant.

Can not offer any advice as I've been flat-chested my whole life and all of my 'padded' bras still fit after the bilateral mastectomy.

I hope others will chime in to help you make the decision you desire.
[Can you find a bra with removable pads and just remove the pad on one side?]

Becky
05-30-2011, 12:24 PM
You might also need alloderm (a thin meshlike material for when the muscle fails to hold the implant in place)

Jackie07
06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
This just in:

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/fda-breast-implant-problems-grow-time-205120987.html

MCS
06-23-2011, 10:10 AM
You've given me a lightbulb ideas. I am going to call Mentor and see what they say on the durability of the implant. I have saline not silicone, because I was scared of what could have happened with silicone.

I will call the plastic surgeon and aks him to explain the alladerm. Never heard of this. He did talk about suturing and skin graft to support the brease. Of course this involves surgery and drains. I don't know about you but after all my surgeries, I just got so tired of these.

Since, I'm flat!!!, I will see if I can find a smaller bra that sticks the other breast a bit bulging but would be ok to the other sliding side!

I have also noticed that the side under the armpit is a bit more flabby than the other "good" side. I have only gained 5 lbs, which is not big but I am tiny, only 5 ft tall. So I am going to try to hard to loose that weight.

I'm also going to try to find a support bra that does not have underwire, and is not a sport bra but that the support goes to the side to see if I can redirect it to the center.

I'm going to talk to the yoga teacher and maybe they can help me with excercises to strenghten naturally that side.

I know, I sound like a real chicken here but I want to try other ways before going down the knife route

Please continue to comment on this is something else comes to your hear. I need community brain power!

You're so great! Thank you

maria

Laurel
06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Maria,

It sounds like the capsule for your implant has weakened. I wonder if a mess-like substance (alloderm, I think) will provide support and provide a new capsule for the implant to rest in? Silicon implants are far more comfortable than saline. If you must exchange the implant why not consider silicone this go 'round?