PDA

View Full Version : Question about Zometa protocol/regimen. Any changes?

Vic
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I've been getting a Zometa infusion twice a year for the past two years on the recommendation of my oncologist, because she said it helps to prevent bone metastases and also strengthens the bones.

She wanted me to have a total of six shots over three years, so this year would have been my final two as I've had four so far. Has something changed about this regimen?

I ask, because when I set up my appointment to see her this month and schedule my fourth shot on the same day, she had someone call me to say that I should see her first before going for my Zometa infusion. It's almost like she wants to talk to me so I can decide if I want to have it. Any thoughts on this so I have some additional information from my wise women here when I see her? Thanks, Vicki

tricia keegan
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Vicki,

I'm not certain but think I recall reading some newer reports that showed zometa is not as good as first thought in preventing mets.
I just had my first infusion last Thursday due to osteopenia and almost five years on arimidex but my onc is only proposing a once a year dose which took about fifteen minutes. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

Vic
04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Tricia. I guess I'll find out next week. It's always good to stay informed. Hopefully, some of the other women on this same regimen will have some information. Always great seeing you on Facebook!

ahoff
04-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm interested in finding out why. I receive infusions every 6 weeks and will be for 2 years. Started in Dec 2010. Thanks. Ann

Chelee
04-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Vic,
Maybe your onc wants to ask if you would like to switch over to Denosumab? The report that came out from the last ASCO conference in Dec. 2010 said Zometa was a flop. Here's a link to it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-09/novartis-to-withdraw-expanded-zometa-approval-request-after-trial-failure.html (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-09/novartis-to-withdraw-expanded-zometa-approval-request-after-trial-failure.html)

Many onc are now asking their patients if they would like to try Denosumab which studies have said it's superior to Zometa. It's also not given by IV infusion..but rather a monthly subcutaneous injection which is more convenient. This may have nothing to do with why your onc wants to talk to you before your next infusion of Zometa--I'm just taking a wild quess since I was offered it along with many others I know of. Let us know what you find out? (Link below is about Denosumab if interested?)

http://www.pharmiweb.com/pressreleases/pressrel.asp?ROW_ID=8002#ixzz1IUxrs6bh

Chelee

tricia keegan
04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I read that too Chelee and although it appears to be available here I was told by one of the Jr Dr's I saw (in my onc's absence) my hospital dont offer it. I'm not sure why but will ask more questions when I see her next!

Rich66
04-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't have the articles at hand, posted previously here..
But I seem to remember coming across some conflicting info on effectiveness of Zometa.