PDA

View Full Version : Need help for necrosis of the brain from WBR

joyce lutz
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
My daughter is now experiencing brain necrosis apparently from the WBR she had a year ago. Does anyone know what can be done to prevent the spread of necrosis? We're pretty desperate right now. My best to you all
Joyce

Jackie07
03-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Joyce,

From the vocabulary section of www.Braintumor.org (http://www.Braintumor.org):

Necrosis – This simply means “dead tissue.” These dead cells are caused either by a lack of blood supply, because the tumor grows so fast that it outgrows its blood supply, or by radiation therapy. Necrosis is common with glioblastoma [a very aggressive type of brain tumor].

Seems several members here on the board have had surgeries to remove the necrosis.

I think the only possible way to 'reverse' the trend is through exercise. Exercise increases blood supply and possibly helps the neurons synapse and reconnect. We don't use but 2-5 % of our brain cells in our life time, and often time certain part of the brain can compensate/replace the function of the part that's 'dead'. Be sure to consult the rehabilitation department on physical therapy and occupational therapy.

Note: Be sure to read the new posting (# 6) about the hyperbaric chamber method of treating necrosis.

StephN
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Can you give any more information, Joyce?

It is normal to see dying lesions. Are they increasing in size? Her healthy brain tissue should not be affected.

I know that every new development seems like a big problem, until it is fully understood and explained. Dig deep with the questions to her doctors. Ask until you feel you really understand her situation.

joyce lutz
03-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Thank you Jackie and Steph - they have been monitoring the brain via perfusion mri's and another test and dr. says it isn't tumor growth it is necrosis which is spreading. I'm at a loss of what to do here. My best to you
Joyce

Darlene Denise
03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Joyce: Any surgical options? Inquire about Hyperbaric Therapy.

Darlene

Jackie07
03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Just received a message from a new member on the subject:

Hi Jackie, when I had radiation induced necrosis in my brain from gamma knife procedure, my doctors used about four hours of hyperbaric chamber for I think about four days and then about an hour a day for two weeks. It along with steroids (I don't know which ones) were a successful treatment.

-------------

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_medicine