PDA

View Full Version : Obesity Prevalence in the United States — Up, Down, or Sideways?

Hopeful
03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
From the NEJM: http://healthpolicyandreform.nejm.org/?p=13941&query=TOC

Hopeful

TanyaRD
03-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Excellent review. They are right, whether overweight/obesity in the US is at the currently stated 68% of the population or reaches near 100% (very possible at this rate) we are in trouble. The bottom line is that we as individuals have to take control of our health to the best of our abilities. I know that is simply stated and not that easy for those with limited access to information or even food. There does have to be some societal/government input/assistance but also a desire for health improvement from within.

I also work for a community hospital and we have banded with local manufacturers, schools, small businesses, etc to create a community wide wellness initiative. We currently have over 300 people participating (this is a very rural area so that is great participation!). It has been so exciting to see the level of interest for improved health. I continuously have people come up to me and tell me what a difference the program has made for them-whether they are participating or just reading the newspaper articles. I know a lot of communities are doing things like this and I hope these programs will continue to spread throughout the country and beyond.