PDA

View Full Version : Hair Falling out-have been off Herceptin for 8 months

Cal-Gal
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
HI everyone,

After Chemo, my hair grew back pretty much the way it was(I had really thick hair) except a bit thinner----but no complaints...

1.) I had hair
2.) A bit thinner for me was still a lot of hair to others

Over the last 3 months my hair has been falling out?

It is really thinning and I can now see my scalp through my hair-

I have no idea what is going on, my diet has not changed at all-infact I have increased my protein (hemp protein powder in my morning shake) as I thought I might not be eating enough-but it keeps falling out??

My last Herceptin treatment was last June 2010 and my Chemo ended June 2009.

Any one else in the same boat here?

Hugs to all--

StephN
03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Always a bummer trying to figure these things out.

Could be for other reasons than the cancer treatment. Hormone levels might drop, stress, or other normal causes of alopecia.

Jackie07
03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Did you used to have oily hair? I inherited seborrheic dermatitis from my Dad and my hair thinned just like his. His 'scalp' has always been in 'plain sight' as far as I could remember.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seborrheic-dermatitis/DS00984

That's the only possible reason I could think of. Perhaps a trip to the dermatologist? Give it another 6 months?

Cal-Gal
03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks to the both of you-
Jackie-NO, actually my hair is on the 'dry' side-
agree maybe a trip to the Derm is in order-

Mary L
03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
My hair grew in thick and curly. I always had thick, course straight hair. Now 7 years out from chemo it is very baby fine and falling out. I had my thyroid B/W done and it is fine so my next visit will be to a dermatologist. I hope you figure out what is going on with your hair. Mary L

wlproctor
03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
When's the last time you had your thyroid checked? I've read problems with the thyroid can cause hairloss.

Cal-Gal
03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Good call-forgot to mention that I am on thyroid meds-perhaps I should have re-checked-:)

Chelee
03-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Cal-Cal,
The most common cause of hair loss is low thyroid function which is very common with menopausal women, which Steph and the others have already mentioned. There are also certain diseases like diabetes and lupus that can also cause hair loss. Have you been prescribed any new medications within the last 3 months? That is yet another possible cause. Have you been on an "AI", or by chance just start one not long ago? That can cause hair loss and thinning.

Since you mentioned you are already on thyroid meds that would be my 1st appt. Might as well rule that out first. Good luck.

Chelee

Jackie07
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Be sure to read the last paragraph of this link:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5336648_hair-due-improper-thyroid-function.html

Cal-Gal
03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Chelee and Jackie-
THANKS!
I am going to make an appt to go to my PCP asap--and get tested-
I am on Synthroid now-but maybe it is the wrong dose.

Chelee-I just had a LUPUS test and it was negative-and not on AI's--not on any meds except the Synthroid and I have been on that for about 6-7 months.

Thanks so much,
Hugs to all

Joanna J
03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Cal-Gal,Sounds like a thyroid condition,I know I had real thick locks before Herceptin....Now straight and thin& super soft.Years ago I was dx'd w/a Hypothyroid condition,I would shake & seemed nervous,dry hair also,But I still think the Herceptin took the wave out of my hair( but don't mind it,If it gives me more life) Joanna J