PDA

View Full Version : Can foreigners participate in clinical trials in the US?

bejuce
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm investigating the possibility for my father who is in Brazil and was diagnosed with muscle-invasive bladder cancer. If he meets all the eligibility criteria of the trial, what does he have to do to get in the trial being a non-US citizen? Anything in particular? Would he be responsible for the full costs of the trial or if the trial is sponsored by a drug company, could he get the trial drugs for free? How would monitoring post-treatment be done if he is leaving abroad?

Thanks so much, you're the best!!!

AlaskaAngel
02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't see any restriction against it in clinical trial announcements, although whether there is any avoidance in the selection process I couldn't say. When it comes to the vaccination trials I know that at least one participant from Down Under and one from Europe have been part of the U of W trials. Hope that helps.

A.A.

Ellie F
02-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Hi Marcia
i have investigated this issue as i want to take part in a vaccine trial.
I have been told that first I have to become an international patient at whichever centre is running the trial.I would also be responsible for any investigations needed for the trial like scans and blood.The actual trial drug is paid for by the drug company.
I would hope to get most of the costly investigations done in England within the timeframe and then would only need to pay for blood tests etc whilst there.
One of the other areas of concern is that the drug companies will pay for any emergency treatment related to the drug but NOT for anything else that may pop up!
Hope this is some help
Ellie