PDA

View Full Version : Lower back soreness for two weeks - should I request a bone scan?

bejuce
02-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I had my period return unexpectedly on the 1st, and with it I
got a sore lower back (between the spine and the right side of my back above my hips). I took a couple of Motrin and that seemed
to do the trick, but the sore feeling has never really gone away for
good, although it seemed to get better. Last night I felt it a little more, and being the 19th, I'm wondering if it's not the time
to get a bone scan. I'd hate to get a scan every time I feel something, but this has been bugging me, albeit more on the emotional/mental side of things rather than the physical one.

To those of you who've had bone mets, what were the symptoms? From
what i've read online, bone pain seems to be deep and excrutiating, and I'm certainly not feeling that, but on the other hand I don't want to wait for
pain to get worse before checking it out.

So, what to do? How do we know to ignore lower back soreness/pain that may be due to age, Tamoxifen, carrying kids around and to monitor bone pain due to possible mets more closely? Would the pain be any different?

FYI, the soreness/pain I've been feeling is very localized and I'm pain free elsewhere.

Thanks!!!

Trish
02-20-2011, 03:11 AM
My bone mets are extensive and I certainly don't have deep and excruciating pain. I have a few occasional pains in different places but have no idea if they have anything to do with the mets. People experience symptoms differently. I think you should discuss your anxieties with your oncologist. Do you have tumour marker blood tests? That may give you a clue as to whether there is metastatic activity.
Good luck with your decision.
Trish

Barbara2
02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Recently I wanted to see my family physician to get answers to several questions. He was not there, so I saw his P.A. instead, and asked her if there was a difference between muscle/bone pain. Answer: Bone pain is more constant; it doesn't hurt as much when pressing on the area. Muscle pain hurts when pressing on it; it can last quite a while. Weeks? Yes, weeks.

That brought some peace of mind and my aches eventually got better. One suggestion I would have for you is to use a heating pad to see if that makes a difference. I leave a heating pad beside the bed 12 months of the year. When there is an ache somewhere, I get it out when going to bed, and put the temp on low. The pad autimatically shuts off in about 30 (?) minutes. I find that the heat often helps. I usually will take Motrin or something similar, too, sometime during the day, and as you said, it makes the ache feel better.

Barbara2
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
How is your lower back soreness?

bejuce
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Thank you so much for checking on me, Barbara! I tried the heat pad and my pain is much better. I felt a little bit this morning, but I'm starting to think that it's either due to positioning in bed during sleep or strenuous play with the kids and the dog... At least I sure hope so!

tricia keegan
02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Bejuice,

I gave myself a lot of unnecessary scans and two months of stress to finally discover I had Sciatica!! I'm glad your pain is easing but my experience taught me not to demand a scan quite so quickly while still remaining vigilant of course.

Barbara2
02-25-2011, 10:47 PM
I've done the same thing, Tricia, with requesting tests; often probably sooner than necessary, but I wanted peace of mind or to find out what was going on. It's so hard to wait and worry, wait and worry. All of us know all about that.

I'm glad you got some relief, bejuce. The ache is probably more worrysome than painful and the worrying likely makes the pain even more noticable. I often have an ache similar to what you are describing, and I've finally concluded that it must be muscular. I do have sciatica flairups too, but that is different than this.

The ache can be on both sides (towards top of buttocks) or on one side. Because I now realize that this ache continues to show up now and then, I don't fret about it like I used to. Today when using the tredmill, the ache started up on the right side, but went away before I was finished walking. Whenever it sticks around for a longer time, I've learned to take Motrin (or whatever) and faithfully use the heating pad at night.

You may want to use it for several nights, too, until the ache decides to give you a break for a while. There's something about that gentle heat that seems to make muscles feel better.

Oh! Another favorite that I use on aches, are the sticky patches you can buy that are applied to the sore area. I usually buy them at Wal-Mart; on the box it says for "temporary relief of minor aches and pains of muscles and joints." My husband loves them too; they work fairly quickly and are effective.

Trish
02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I like the sound of the strenuous play with dog and kids. The dog is adorable and I'm sure the kids are too. Glad the back is better.
Trish

Barbara2
03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
It's been about 3 weeks since you posted regarding lower back soreness. How does it feel now?

LoisLane
03-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi ladies thought I would just join in the conversation here about bone pain. I also have the heating pad beside my bed. I seem to always have aches and pains. Probably a lot is from the Letrozole. I did have a bone scan a few months ago because of a constant pain in my left leg that was there for probably 6 months. Bone scan was clear. I have also had a US of right shoulder last July because of constant pain. This pain turned out to be calcified tendonitis. I need to get to physio to have that dealt with and get started on some exercises for that. Lately this right shoulder is really painful constantly. I know that I had the bone scan just recently. I hope nothing could pop up in the bones that quickly to cause in the increase and severity of pain. I have been also taking Mortin or advil and it seems to work for a while.
These aches and pains could drive you crazy with worry some times but I keep telling me self relax you just had the bone scan. Any thoughts? Best wishes and continued good health to all! Lois

bejuce
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Thank you so much for checking up on me, Barbara! The pain is gone and I'm very thankful I can breathe a little easier. Yesterday though I woke up with a very sore spot on the side of my right armpit where my lymph nodes
were taken out. I hope it's a pinched nerve and not
a sign of lymphedema or another node popping up. When it's not something, it's something else, isn't it? Such is the life with cancer...

Mom2threegirlz
03-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi All

Bejuce- thank you for posting to this message board. I have been terrified for a week now about back pain in my mid-back. Can't tell if it is just pain hanging on from taxotere, muscle strain, or of course the concern about bone mets. I have had many sleepless nights. I am please that you were in the same spot but had it resolve on its own. If it is still there in 3 weeks when I go in for my next Herceptin my doc is going to do a bone scan. I hope it gets better just as you experienced.

tricia keegan
03-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Bejuice, I still get pains now and then where my nodes were removed and think it's common with cut nerves etc so hope yours subsides.

Mom2threegirlz- aches from chemo can hang around for months and as you're still on herceptin I'd guess it's simply your body has'nt fully recovered as yet:)