PDA

View Full Version : Basal Cell Cancer

rinaina
02-15-2011, 10:05 AM
After my total shoulder replacement in June things were pretty quiet and life was so good and busy that I haven't had time to check in. Well for those of you who know my history, things don't tend to stay quiet too long for me, (5 surgeries in the past 2 years, 4 unrelated to bc). I just had Mohs surgery for basal cell carcinoma on the side of the bridge of my nose. I am just curious how many bc patients have had bouts with skin cancer as well? Is there any relation between the two at all? I am happy to report that the surgery removed it all in my case. Thank goodness it was basal. Oh Sheila, so happy to read about your positive response to your new miracle drug.

Montana
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I started having basal cell skin cancers removed about 20 years before bc diagnosis. I'm a redhead and of course burned myself over many summers. I was outside all the time on the swim team. I continue to have these removed as they pop up. Since diagnosis, I've also had one squamous cell removed, and one stage 1 melanoma.

I don't know if it's related to bc, but in my case, it's probably because of skin type and hair color.

tricia keegan
02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I recently read a report directly linking Breast and skin cancer, it prompted me to have a small leg spot checked and told it was squamous cell carcinoma in situ.

I'm thankful I found this very early on and my Dermatologist recommends treating it with PDT (light therapy)

I think there's a huge percentage of people dealing with some skin issue's after bc! Sending good wishes to you for a complete recovery.

ElaineM
02-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Personally I think alot of good as well as bad cells are affected during cancer therapy. Perhaps that weakens skin cells and makes them more sensitive to sun and/or evironmental damage.
I had a small basel cell carcinoma removed about a year ago. I have a family history of all kinds of skin cancers. Most of those people did not live in sunny climates, so I just blamed it on my genes. Of course the sun and/or cancer treatments could also be contributing factors.
I see a dermatologist regularly.Some of my doctors have had basel cell carcinomas removed by the same dermatologist, so we are all in the same boat !!

sassy
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I had a basal cell removed several years before BC. Definately not sun exposure related because of its location. None since then.

Sandra in GA
02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I had a basal cell malignancy removed from my nose about four years before my breast cancer diagnosis. So far, no more.

rinaina
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Trisha, do you have a link to the article you referred to linking skin cancer with bc? Thank you for your replies. Sorry so many of you have had to deal with this too. I believe mine is a result of younger days sun bathing, however, it was in a pretty hidden spot where my glasses rest.

Lani
02-16-2011, 12:34 AM
it is usually melanoma that is linked with breast cance according to my reading.

Basal cell CA and squamous cell CA are very very common and almost never metastasize, in comparison.

However I just found the following (has to do with a very rare condition which predisposes to basal cell CA and breast cancer):
Complete basal cell carcinoma remission with imiquimod in a patient with nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome and associated basal cell carcinoma of the scalp and invasive ductal breast cancer.
Source: Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology [0190-9622] Quist yr:2011 vol:64 iss:3 pg:611 -613

tricia keegan
02-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Rina,

Lani is correct that it's Melonoma the report is referring to, here's the link for anyone interested http://www.skincancer.org/melanoma-and-breast-cancer-a-new-warning.html

caya
02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Rina,

Glad it was only basal. It's always something....

all the best
caya

Yorkiegirl
10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I just got a call today from my Dermatologist about an area I had removed on Monday and it is melanoma. I have to go back in next week to have a bigger area removed and sent back to pathlogy.
Has this happened to any one else?

StephN
10-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a friend who had a melanoma on her arm several years before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. So far neither cancers has made another appearance.

I hope you will have no more surgeries, Yorkiegirl! The next one should do it. But, be sure and have some screenings often.

Laurel
10-13-2011, 06:34 PM
You know, I think because I drew the "cancer card" once that should be enough for a lifetime. Sure seems fair to me, but surprisingly I read of people having multiple cancers that are completely unrelated. Ok, for the record that sucks.