PDA

View Full Version : Re: CHAT - Plant-based olive oil diet (Mary Flynn Ph.D.)

AlaskaAngel
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi All,

This is just a reminder that there will be a discussion this weekend, 2 PM Eastern Standard Time, about the Pink Ribbon Diet.

Again, it is not being offered at HER2support website this time due to some problems with the chat function here, but you can contact me by either PM or e-mail to get instructions in advance, and it is best to try it out ahead of time to be sure you can connect for it.

Hopefully if there is enough interest and participation, other chats can be scheduled for the future once HER2support chat function is working again.

AlaskaAngel

Becky
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Dear Friends

I want to ensure that everyone knows that our members, Alaska Angel and TanyaRD will be having a nutritional chat focusing on the Pink Ribbon Diet tomorrow. Angel's first post on top of this is a copy of a thumb tacked message in the Diet and Nutrition section but I wanted to put it up here on the main board too since more people peruse it.

Alaska Angel's post has the specifics and site where the chat will be etc. If you have any other questions, post them here for AlaskaAngel or private message her.

Hope to see you there.

flynny
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Was it today or Sunday, January 30th? I won't be available tomorrow is there a way we can see a replay?? Thank you.

Jackie07
01-29-2011, 07:47 PM
It's supposed to be Saturday. I somehow missed it even though I had e-mailed AA that I would like to attend.

Jackie07
01-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Found some book reviews cited by Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly

Under the auspices of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation, Flynn, a research dietitian at the Miriam Hospital and assistant professor at Brown Medical School, studied the effects of a plant-based olive-oil diet ("PBOO") for overweight women who had undergone breast cancer treatment, compared to a low-fat diet recommended by the National Cancer Institute. Her conclusion--that the plant-based olive oil diet is both more effective and more satisfying--is the basis for this combination research/recipe book, penned with the help of Barr, a cookbook author formerly associated with Julia Child. The authors explain that the PBOO diet concentrates primarily on foods that women should eat in order to lower their risk of breast cancer or to ward off its recurrence, while omitting foods associated with risks; the focus on olive oil and veggies leads to improvement in blood lipids, blood sugar, and insulin, all biomarkers for breast cancer. Part II presents a 1,500-calorie diet that includes 150 simple, affordable, and enticing recipes, ranging from breakfasts, salads, and sandwiches to main courses and desserts. This user-friendly and preventive diet plan will benefit every woman concerned about breast cancer and health.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review

Publishers Weekly, 8/16/10
“This user-friendly and preventive diet plan will benefit every woman concerned about breast cancer and health.”
Library Journal, 8/2/10
“[A] reasonable plan, even if you just want to maintain a healthy weight.”

Blogcritics.org, 9/15/10
“Offers breakfasts, side dishes, main dishes, and—best of all—desserts (including cranberry/almond biscotti)…Bottom Line: Would I buy The Pink Ribbon Diet? Yes, it is filled with recipes designed to satisfy the healthy Mediterranean in me.”

Infodad.com, 10/14/10
“[The Pink Ribbon Diet] offers some delicious dishes.”

January, October 2010
“An interesting—and surprisingly rationale—book…Authors Mary Flynn and Nancy Verde Barr’s guide to diet, weight loss and food is sane and approachable.”

Becky
01-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Unsticking