PDA

View Full Version : some artificial sweeteners and probiotics may inhibit breast cancer growth(in mice)

Lani
01-21-2011, 12:29 AM
ABSTRACT: Effects of Non-Digestible Carbohydrates on the Growth of Estrogen-Dependent Human Breast Cancer (MCF-7) Tumors Implanted in Ovariectomized Athymic Mice
[Nutrition & Cancer]
Non-digestible carbohydrates (NDC4) have been used as a low-calorie sweetener and prebiotics that stimulate the growth of certain intestinal bacteria that support healthy colon conditions. In this study, we examined the dietary effect of commercially available NDCs on estrogen receptor positive (ER+) human breast cancer. We conducted a feeding study of fructooligosaccharides (FOSs), Fibersol 2 (F2; digestion resistant maltodextrin), Hi-Maize (HM; high amylose cornstarch), and Frutafit (FF; a range of powdered inulins) (5% in diet, w/w) to evaluate their effects on the growth of ER(+) human breast cancer (MCF-7) tumors in the presence of 17β-estradiol (E2) using an athymic xenograft model. F2, HM, and FOSs supplementation significantly reduced E2-stimulated MCF-7 tumor growth by inhibiting cellular proliferation (Ki-67) and increasing apoptosis (M30) in tumors. F2, HM, and FOSs treatments also lowered serum E2 level and reduced uterine weight compared to the control diet. NDCs treatments downregulated relative mRNA expression of the E2-responsive gene markers pS2, bcl2, bcl-xL, and cyclin D1 in MCF-7 tumors. In conclusion, the NDC intake may have a protective effect against ER(+) tumors by inhibiting cellular proliferation and increasing apoptosis.

harrie
01-23-2011, 11:41 PM
I would not be at all surprised if they discover xylitol to be one of those artificial sweeteners that inhibit breast cancer.

Jackie07
01-23-2011, 11:56 PM
The citation of the article:

Kondegowda NG, Meaney MP, Baker C, Ju YH.
Nutr Cancer. 2011 Jan;63(1):55-64.PMID: 21170812 [PubMed - in process]

Lien
01-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Why xylitol? I have been hearing about avoiding artificial sweeteners. My kids are sugar intolerant so I've been looking for alternatives for years.

Chrystallized xylitol tastes good, and it's supposed to be beneficial for teeth as well.

Jacqueline

harrie
01-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Xylitol has numerous health benefits. It has shown to be effective fighting bacteria for oral, nasal, and ear infections. It is also shown to prevent bone loss. Of course it is proven to be a good way to prevent cavities.
It has an impressive amt health benefits for an artifical sweeteners, and that is why I would not be surprise to read someday that it can possibly be cancer preventative.
If you google "health benefits of xylitol" you can find more info.

Lien
01-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks Maryanne, I'll look into it. Pure xylitol is hard to find here in the Netherlands, but I bought to bags in France last summer. Will need to go there again. Good excuse for a trip!

Jacqueline

AlaskaAngel
01-25-2011, 11:14 AM
I had my dentist look into Stevia as an option for helping with weight loss to make sure there were no dental issues with it, and in his opinion Stevia is fine to use. But because my SO has had bone loss, maybe xylitol would work even better...

A.A.

StephN
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I have been using a nasal spray that contains Xylitol for a couple of years. It really helps me fight off oncoming colds!

I use it also more during the worst of the allergy seasons and it seems to help keep my sinuses clear a little longer.

But I imagine to get a broader health benefit one would need to ingest a larger amount?

Rich66
01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't have it handy, but I know I have encountered research suggesting Stevia has anticancer properties.

Alyce
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Anyone know how sugar feeds cancer cells? I don't touch it, but I do wonder about the sugar in fruit. A nurse friend told me that because I don't use sugar and no white flour,rice etc. that the cancer cells don't want to grow. Hope she's right!!! I feel great on a very healthy diet. What is the "Pink Diet"? I haven't been to the site for a long time.

krisvell
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM
One of my good friends swears that I got BC from all the Diet Coke I consumed over the years. Got hooked on the stuff back in the Tab days. Too late now for me.
I suppose anything that's not natural is probably not too good for you. After reading the China Study, The Anti-cancer Diet, Crazy Sexy Cancer, they say all the same thing to stay away from the fake food; including artificial sweetners.
Kris...

AlaskaAngel
01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Alyce, several members are interested in a plant-based olive oil diet that is published as the Pink Ribbon Diet, and requested a presentation for it. I don't know if that is the diet you are thinking of. It is being discussed this coming Saturday USA time/Sunday Aussie time:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45472

AlaskaAngel