PDA

View Full Version : To talk of Ports, and markers and DIEP

fauxgypsy
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone, I have been lurking occasionally. Busy teaching and learning. I have a few questions.
The good news is that the PET I had in November was good. I was scheduled to get my Port out. When I saw my oncologist he told me that he would rather I waited because my tumor markers were up. My tumor markers have been up before and nothing changed in my PET scans. Anyway, I am waiting and he is testing again at three months and six months. Then with any luck, I will get my port out.
My real question has to do with DIEP reconstruction. I am planning on scheduling it in July (that's when I am not teaching) and I know there can be a long recovery. I hurt so much after my mastectomy that I swore that I would not do this but I do not like wearing a prosthesis and I have noticed that I have been less active because of it. What is it really like, what kind of recovery time did you have, do they work on the other breast at that time, whendo they do the tattoos, etc.? I have spoken to the surgeon but I didn't think to ask him everything. It is scary.

Leslie

Joan M
01-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Leslie,

Great news on your PET scan, and hopefully the raised tumor markers mean nothing. Especially since they've been elevated before.

I had immediate DIEP flap reconstruction, and the recovery wasn't too bad. But of course, since fat was taken out of my stomach, the recovery involved abdominal surgery. My chemo did not start until six weeks after. I did only one breast, and I never bothered with the tattoo.

Mary Jo on the board had DIEP flap after her mastectomy, I believe in both breasts, and she can probably give you more information about not doing it immediately.

I would agree about the convenience of either flaps or implants. They do give you a certain amount of freedom. Since I had a DIEP flap from the beginning, I've never really felt like I "lost" my breast.

Joan

Becky
01-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Leslie!

Soccermom also had delayed DIEP reconstruction as well and as Joan said, Mary Jo also had delayed diep.

Mary Jo
01-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Leslie,

Yes, I did have bi-lateral DIEP reconstruction 3 years after my initial surgeries. I am assuming from reading your signature and from your post that you are having uni-lateral reconstruction.

I did not find DIEP to be as bad as I had anticipated it to be or from reading the comments on breastcancer.org from other women who had uni-lateral or bi-lateral DIEP. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a "walk in the park" but not as bad as I thought. However, saying all that, my surgery went perfectly. Surgery, recovery and post-op. Going into the surgery I was healthy and in good shape...so that probably helped or surely didn't hurt.

The 2nd phase of the surgery, the revision phase, is done at a later date. They will lift your other breast (if having uni-lateral) at that time and do whatever other revisions need to be done. I didn't have my revisions until 1 year after the initial surgery but you do not have to wait that long.

Any other questions just ask.....also, if you'd like my phone number to talk so we can talk that way, please feel free to ask.

Happy to help....

Mary Jo

fauxgypsy
01-09-2011, 09:06 PM
It would be unilateral. I thought at first that I would not be doing this. It might be some time between the DIEP and the revision. I am fitting this in around the college schedule and then there are the classes that I am taking. It was good to hear that you had a good experience. It sounds like most of yall have been happy wit the results. Thanks. Mary Jo, it might be helpful to call you. I am not going to have the surgery until July ( I am teaching first summer semester) so ther is no hurry.

fauxgypsy
01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I looked over that last message and realized that my typing sucks. I would like to hear from more of you that have had the DIEP surgery, especially delayed surgey.

Leslie