PDA

View Full Version : some guidance needed

pibikay
01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi All
I want some guidance from persons like Elaine who have fought the beast and are going fit
Will it be all right if she is taken on short holidays. Except for back pain she has no other problem. The Onc wanted her to climb stairs and do a little bit of work in the house without bending or lifting weights. I am told that in the US persons go out normally.Here mostly they are confined to their houne
As she is getting better I just want some guidance
Thanks in advance

ElaineM
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
You are right. In the U. S. cancer patients are usually able to be physically active. Some people are able to continue their jobs. Some are not able to do that.
As long as your wife's doctor thinks she should get a little exercise and fresh air your wife should do that. Walks around the neighborhood, a little food shopping, a visit to a museum, the home of friends or relatives or park would all be nice. A little exercise and social interaction are good for the body, mind and spirit. If your wife's white blood count is a little low stay away from large crowds. If your wife is tired she will tell you she wants to sit down for a few minutes.
Your wife's doctor will probably encourage your wife to arrange short trips around her treatment schedule, so she doesn't miss anything she is supposed to have at the doctor's office or hospital. Cancer medicines in pill form can be taken at the normal schedule during short trips.
Enjoy a nice walk with your wife !!
Happy New Year !! Peace, good health and happiness to you and your wife in 2011 and beyond.

Becky
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Since your wife has been sedentary all this time, it is important to also not overdo it all at once. Its just like a runner - they cannot do a Marthon without working up to it and doing the training. Alittle bit at a time.

Elaine's advice about where her blood counts are was a good one because the last thing you need is for her to get sick. And she will be tired no matter what so she still has to listen to her body when it needs rest and relaxation. However, exercise isn't just good for the body, it is also good for the mind too. Even starting out by doing household tasks at least improves her mind too - that she is being a productive family member again. I remember the really hard chemo days. No matter what, I wanted to put a family dinner on the table every night. It made me feel like I was still the wife and mother.