PDA

View Full Version : New Drug Halaven (Eribulen) I am on

Sheila
12-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Just wanted to update all of you on this new drug I am on that was just approved for use in the last few weeks. The girls who were at San Antonio were keeping a close watch on my neck "mass" which has been called refractory breast cancer, soft tissue mass and skin mets...anyway, I received my first treatment the day before I went to Texas. They kept telling me by the end of the week, my neck showed improvement.
I received my second dose last Tuesday and started Herceptin again...there was much discussion on whether I needed a loading dose...I had been off TDM=1 for a month and off regular herceptin for 16 weeks...I got the first dose in 30 minutes...guess they figured after being on it for almost 8 years straight, I would be fine!
Just wanted to update all my neck watchers from San Antonio that after 2 treatments, the mass has decresed by almost 2/3's....an amazing response....this drug may hold promise for many of us! Hoping it keeps working this well! BTW, I believe I am the first in Illinois on this drug for breast cancer....Tonya on this site is also on it. I have the ability to visualize how well the response is on my neck!

sassy
12-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Hey Sheila,

So glad you continue to have improvement! Actually being able to see the improvement on your neck in San Antonio was amazing! We usually have to wait for tests to monitor response-----but in this case, seeing is believing!

It was great seeing you, and hope to see you again soon!

Mary L
12-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Sheila, It's great news to learn there is another new drug on the market. It will help many others who the herceptin and tykerb are no longer effective. Best wishes and I am so happy it is working for you. Happy holidays! Mary L

ammebarb
12-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Oh Sheila, that is wonderful news! Here's hoping you continue to have such a good response, and that others who would benefit from this drug can receive it. How amazing that you can actually see a reduction in the size of the mass on your neck. I've been thinking of you and hoping you'd report in!

Becky
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Dear Sheila

What wonderful news for a wonderful woman!

michka
12-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Dear Sheila, I am so happy this new drug is working for you! What good news! Sharing this wonderful info is going to help many others. Hugs. Michka

ElaineM
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi sheila,
I am thrilled for you !!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful early holiday gift you received. I hope the Halavan continues to work until you are NED. Keep up the great work. Nice to know it can be given with Herceptin too.
Inspired by you I asked the nurse practioner in the office where I go about Halaven. She didn't have a clue what it is even after I explained it to her. She was sitting there searching like crazy on the internet. I love to test my medical professionals to see if they are keeping up with the latest by asking them about things I read about or some of the things we have discussed here at her2support.org.
That just goes to show you we at her2support.org are on the cutting edge of medicine !!

Nancy L
12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Wonderful news. I am very very happy for you Sheila. Can you let us know what kind of side effects you experience with this new drug? I will ask Dr. Slamon about this drug on my next visit. Herceptin/Tykerb appears to still be working for me although I have been feeling a little off the past month. No one felt my neck nodes enlarged when my BC returned there two years ago. If the cancer hadn't strangled my vocal cord, I have often wondered how it might have played out.

Have a wonderful holiday season with your family!

StephN
12-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Sheila and Nancy -

Can you mention which tumor markers or blood tests you get that might track your disease? I know Sheila does not get the HER2 serum test, but maybe Nancy does?

Glad you are both doing well on current treatment. Especially Sheila out there on the edge on a totally new drug.

Blessed holidays to all.

Sheila
12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Steph, I only get the CEA's done...they are the only reliable ones for me!

hutchibk
12-19-2010, 02:49 PM
YAY! That is fantastic news, Sheila... just keep your Zofran nearby...

TriciaK
12-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Sheila, you are such an inspiration! I think of you often, always with a prayer for you, and a reminder to myself to try to be as upbeat and appreciative of life as you are. Not only that, I learn something new in all your posts! I print all the informative posts from you and from others, especially with new treatment info, and take them to my oncologist. When he sees the printout in my hand he smiles and asks me what new thing I've learned from my friends on the her2 website. He isn't joking or being negative---he listens and often says, "Maybe we might try that". I asked him early on what kind of prognosis I had, and he said he never gives a prognosis because so much depends on the individual patient's will and outlook. He says he admires people who research and seek info on their own because he knows they are fighters. A heart doctor asked him three years ago if I were strong enough to undergo a certain procedure, and if I could live long enough to make it worthwhile. It turned out I didn't need the particular procedure after all, but the heart doctor told me my oncologist told him I was tough enough to withstand anything I put my mind to, and he wouldn't attempt to assign me a time limit. I think that could all apply to you, too! Keep on keepin' on, and have a wonderful holiday season! Hugs, Tricia

Chelee
12-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Shelia,
This drug sounds like it's really doing the job and quickly. It's nice they added the Herceptin also...I would imagine a good synergy with the two. Like Nancy...I'm curious about the SE's? I know you had mentioned some nausea...but how are you feeling otherwise? Has this drug been hard on your counts? Wishing you all the best during this Holiday season.

Chelee

Nancy L
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Steph,

It was determined when my bc returned that blood tumor markers do not work for me---mine never changed during the recurrence. That came as quite a surprise because I thought they worked for everyone. So now I have to rely on Pet Scans approximately every four months, to determine if something new is happening.

krisvell
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Sheila,
It's very exciting news. I am very happy for you that such a response came so quickly. What a great Holiday Present.
Kris...

Barbara H.
12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Sheila,
Thank you for posting this great news. I am so happy for you.
Barbara H.

chrisy
12-19-2010, 07:49 PM
wow sheila! so it was definitely not our imagination that it was melting away!!!! Great great news.

Gerri
12-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Shelia,

So happy to hear that the new meds are melting those skin mets away. Your strength and stamina amaze me. Can't wait for your next update!

Jackie07
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
What wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.

Joan M
12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Sheila,

I've read a lot of good things about eribulen, which was discussed by Dr. Winer at ASCO. Thank goodness the bump on your neck has gone done, as your neck did look swollen in San Antonio. That's a real plus, and I know the neck area has been a problem for you.

Joan

'lizbeth
12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah! thanks for sharing the good news.

PinkGirl
12-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Hey SheilaGirl ... do you lose your hair on this drug? Just wondering
if you need more hats ...
......... let me know .... I have my bag of yarn ready. I'm soooooo happy that it's working so quickly. Have a nice Christmas. I know you've had a very rough year ... Stay well.

Sheila
12-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Hey Pink....they told me I will lose my hair...it has been tingling this week and I started shedding bad yesterday...I do hate winter with no hair....the hat you sent me before is so cozy and soft....just no elf hats please.....you are the only one that can be the elf!

ElaineM
12-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Keep warm and cozy this Christmas and New Years.
Peace, good health and joy to you in 2011 and beyond.

Tonya
12-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone, I am also in my 3rd week on this new treatment Halaven. I havent gotten the results of bloodwork back yet. Hopefully some good news on monday... I had mets to liver 4 years ago. Just came off of two years on tykerb xeloda. So far there are heavier side effects with Havalen. I am having some Neuropathy and the hair is thinning. BC 8 years and counting.

Jackie07
12-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Sheila and Tonya,

Glad the new drug is working well. Below is a link with side effects and other information of Halaven:

http://newdrugreview.com/index.php/anticancer-drugs/halaven-injection

pibikay
12-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks Very much for your good news
I wonder when it will be approved here.Can you let me know who the manufacturer us
WISHING ALL OF YOU THE SEASONS BEST

Jackie07
12-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Company: Eisai Inc

See the following link:

http://newdrugreview.com/index.php/anticancer-drugs/halaven-injection

SoCalGal
12-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Sheila - I'm wishing you all the best. You are one of the strongest people I know!! xo Flori