PDA

View Full Version : Mixed reviews on scans while on tdm-1

Sheila
12-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Not the news I was hoping for, but my scans showed improvement on nodes inside the body, but progression on the soft tissue skin mets by the neck nodes....due to the eap trial reqs, I was booted off. I began a brand new chemotherapy, eribulen this week on Monday...I am the first to get it at my hospital....I will be getting it with Herceptin. felt a little nauseous the first few days, but am in San Antonio with the her2 support group, trying to learn all I can. Talked with the easai reps that make this drug, marketed under the name halaven....hoping it will be a success for me, or at the least buy me time until the magic drug comes along....pertuzamab is getting great reviews here...as a combo drug therapy.

Trish
12-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Good luck -you are a real trail blazer. Enjoy the conference and I hope the treatment works a treat. Look forward to hearing.
Trish

Delaney
12-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Sheila, I think there was a post somewhere (maybe on this site) about Halaven being the new wonder drug for skin mets. Really hope it works for you. I have skin mets to the chest, looks like a mini red cauliflour, cant seem to get rid of it. I hope you will really be a trailblazer and wipe the buggers out completely. Best wishes.

Mary Anne in TX
12-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Sheila, I hope that your feeling yucky means that the new drug is doing it's damage to those skins mets. ma

PinkGirl
12-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey SheilaGirl ... did Tippy go to San Antonio???

Chelee
12-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Shelia,
I was so hoping the T-DM1 was going to be your magic bullet...as I'm sure you were too. Darn it all! Here's to the new drug kicking some cancer butt...including those misrable little skin mets. Shelia, your truly an inspriation...one tough gal. The strength you find to keep going, especially when starting a new chemo regimen boggles my mind! You really amaze me. If you could bottle just a little of what you have and send it my way I would be good to go. :) Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that this new drug does the job.

Chelee

Jackie07
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
New year, new meds, new hope...

Sheila
12-11-2010, 03:25 PM
PinkGirl,TipToe is herein San Antonio...pictures to follow when I get home

Patb
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Good luck with your new treatment and posting
about the other drug. Take care and enjoy the
trip.
patb

ElaineM
12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I hope the Eribulen helps. Let us know. I posted some information about drugs for skin mets in the clinical trials thread awhile back. One post was about the University of Washington Tumor Group study using Abraxane and Immiquimod cream and I think the other one was about Pazopanib and Tykerb. I am hearing good things about the Marianne Trial for T DM1 which combines it with another drug. Maybe you can get that later.
It also seems that her2 breast cancer was discussed alot at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium
http://media.curetoday.com/sabcs2010/
Since you are there perhaps you can get some transcripts about those discussions to share with your oncologist after you return home. Take care.
Take good care of yourself. I have my fingers crossed for you.

schoonder
12-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, third arm of Marianne trial, T-DM1 plus Pertuzumab could be a very effective treatment.
Immunogen Inc reported on T-DM1 Plus Pertuzumab for First-Line HER2+ mBC. The data reported today from SABCS are from a Phase Ib/II clinical trial conducted by Roche to assess T-DM1 used in combination with pertuzumab to treat HER2+ mBC. The study enrolled 21 patients who had not received prior systemic anticancer therapy for metastatic disease. Among these patients, 57.1% had a confirmed objective response to treatment with T-DM1 plus pertuzumab.

All of these patients had received anticancer agents prior to their development of metastatic disease (e.g., as adjuvant therapy). Eighty-six percent (86%) of these patients had received Herceptin® (trastuzumab), 71% had received a taxane, and 62% had received an anthracycline before being diagnosed with metastatic disease.

Ceesun
12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Sheila, I wish you the best on the new treatment and continued improvement. Hey girlfriend....saw the article about you in the Amoena magazine a few days ago while I was picking up a "breast product"....ha! You are amazing! Ceesun

StephN
12-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Sheila's neck did show noticeable improvement during our days together in San Antonio.

She got stuck there for another 2 days due to the snow covering the Chicago area, but she should be there by now.

The booth for the company that makes the new drug Halaven was very close to our booth. The reps there were happy to meet someone who was actually taking their drug!

Sheila
12-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Home in time to receive treatment #2 of Eribulen (Halaven)..my nodes and skin mets are disappearing before my eyes...after 2 treatments! Slight nausea...compazine is working for that...and the hair is starting to tingle, so I feel baldness is in my future, as expected.....but with the response on the neck nodes/skin mets....who cares about hair!!!!

Lori R
12-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Sheila,
So glad to hear the nodes are melting!!

I hope you enjoyed your time with the rest of the Her2 contingent in San Antonio.

Lori

Delaney
12-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Wow!! Sheila, congratulations. I'm going to request that drug next time I see my oncologist.

tricia keegan
12-16-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm coming in a little late here Sheila but so glad to read the good news , sounds like this treatment is your magic bullet!!

michka
12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Sheila, this is wonderful news. I hope this time every single node and skin met will vanish. You are such a fighter. I would like you so much to have a real cure. This news makes me so happy in the middle of my own mess. Love and Hugs. Michka

Joan M
12-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Sheila,

This is great news!

Joan

Julie2
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Wonderful news Shiela! I am very thrilled for this new drug.

Julie

caya
12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Great news Sheila.. glad those pesky nodes are melting away...

all the best
caya

ElaineM
12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
I am so happy for you Sheila. It sounds like your new drug is working at full speed ahead.
Shrinking and disappearing cancer is the best holiday present anyone can receive !!!!!!!
Keep up the great work !!!!!!! Enjoy the holidays !! A healthy 2011 to you !!

Unregistered
12-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Sheila, my oncologist says that one must have had an antracycline treatment before getting HALAVAN. Could please tell me if that was a prerequirement for you. I am very interested in HALAVAN as my current treatment is failing, but in my many years of chemo I have never received an antracycline and I would prefer not at this point. I truly would appreciate a reply from you, so that I may discuss it with my oncologist, as he may be wrong. Thank you. Angela

Sheila
12-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Angela
I read that also, but I have never had an Anthracycline...when I was diagnosed back in 2002, the guidlines for my tumor and clean nodes were no chemo....Herceptin was not available for early stage....my oncologist ordered it no problem and I am amazed at how well its working....I also went back on herceptin last week.....ask again

StephN
12-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Nine year mark coming up very soon for you. Wishing you a peaceful holiday now, with more good news on the way.

Herceptin should slow the mets as well. You may be the first on this combo!

Lien
12-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Hah! I told those mets not to start up with you. Told 'm you'd eradicate them! And so you are doing. Wonderful!

Jacqueline

KDR
12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, Sheila, good luck...sounds like you are pioneering a new and great horizon!

Unregistered
12-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Sheila,
My sincerest thanks for your reply to me. I too have skin mets [just recently surfaced].
I called the HALEVAN'S pharmaceutical, and they told me that it is up to the individual doctor decision. I will try again next week. Angela

Chelee
12-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Shelia,
This is fantastic news! If those neck nodes and skin mets are melting away after only one trt...I can only imagine what trt two will do to them! They don't stand a chance at this rate. Woo hoo! (OK...time for me to do the happy dance.) :) Sounds like a great drug...I can't get over how fast it's working. I am just thrilled for you....just wonderful news.

Chelee

Midwest Alice
12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Wonderful news Shelia, Keep us up dated!!!

Jean
12-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Shelia,
Always thinking of you! Glad the new drug is doing the job. Sending you hugs,

Jean

schoolteacher
12-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Shelia,

Glad to hear your good news. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Amelia