PDA

View Full Version : Modified citrus pectin

Ellie F
10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi all
Just read an news article on the board stating that modified citrus pectin was proven to reduce breast cancer recurrence by directly killing cancer cells.Wondered if Tonya or anyone had any information?
Thanks
Ellie

kalaoamom
10-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Citrus pectin is used for many cancers. I was told by my ND that it mops up cancer cells. Everyone does not respond to it. My husband was given it for prostate cancer and when he did chemo sensitivity testing of his blood they also checked response of his cancer to several alternative treatments for cancer like citrus pectin. He showed no response to this but did respond to other alternative treatments. So, he was taken off of the pectin. I will see if I can find my good link to this subject.

TanyaRD
10-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Ellie,
I agree with the above post from kalaoamom. Many small studies have demonstrated MCP to increase cancer cell death (apoptosis) especially in prostate cancer. I am including a link to one of many abstracts on PubMed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17513886

Modified citrus pectin is also a great soluble fiber and there is little/no risk in including it in the diet. Many foods naturally contain pectin. I believe supplements have their place but I always ask my patients to look at their diets first because we know that diet/lifestyle changes reduce cancer risk.

Laurel
10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Go for Ellie, many of us use it. I confess I forget lately more than I remember. Thanks for the reminder! Can you get it in the UK? If not, I'll post a few links for you to order from across the pond.

Jackie07
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.ehow.com/list_5903391_list-foods-containing-pectin.html

It's interesting that the article mentioned about orange peels. Dried range peel has been used in Chinese medicine for hundreds of years. It's also used in cooking - such as the 'orange flavored beef'.

ElaineM
10-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I remember my grandmother making homemade pectin from fruits, including citrus fruits and then using it when she made homemade jellies. It is what makes jelly jell and extends the shelf life of jellies.
Orange peels and the white stringy stuff inside oranges are considered pectins. Other fruits also have pectin.

Gavin121
10-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Modified citrus pectin (MCP) is a form of pectin that has been altered so that it can be more easily absorbed by the digestive tract. Pectin is a carbohydrate that is made of hundreds or thousands of sugar molecules chemically linked together. It is found in most plants and is particularly plentiful in the peels of apples, citrus fruits, and plums. In modified citrus pectin, the pectin has been chemically altered to break its molecules into smaller pieces. Pectin in its natural form cannot be absorbed by the body and is considered a type of soluble dietary fiber, whereas modified pectin can be absorbed into the bloodstream.

Cal-Gal
10-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I think I read something about this in Life Extension Magazine---sounding interesting--but right now I am taking so many supplements--I just can even think about one more---