PDA

View Full Version : I am Fine - but bad new for my sister

Becky
08-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I probably should have said something before but as you know, I tend to keep things in (and I am a last minute person too). On August 9 my sister had a stereotactic biopsy due to a small (8mm) area of clustered calcifications. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with DCIS. She couldn't wait until next week to find out and kept calling until she heard. She will find out the prognostics next week (ie: ER, PR etc) and needs to at least get a lumpectomy and radiation (I did not want to get into anything more such as not getting clean margins or if the lumpectomy shows a small invasive component). Baby steps. Although I tested negative for the BRCA genes, there is something going on in my family as my mom was diagnosed 4 months after me. So... I am very worried as I still have my breasts. Baby steps for me too. Please pray that there is no invasive component for my baby sister and it stays dcis. I have another sister and pray for her too.

Thank you in advance.

Faith in Him
08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh Becky, I'm so sorry. Your sister, you and your family are at the top of my prayer list.

Tonya

Gerri
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Sweet Becky,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. It does sound like there is some sort of familial connection. I can tell from your post how worried you are about her. I'm sure she feels great comfort in knowing that you are there to help her through. She is so lucky to have you as her sister.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs to you,

caya
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your sister Becky. This disease sure sucks.

Praying for the best possible news for her.

all the best
caya

ammebarb
08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
I know how difficult it is to see one's sister through this crummy disease. Wishing her the very best news possible as she does the "baby steps", and you the strength you need to support her.

Barb A.

tricia keegan
08-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Becky, I'm so sorry your sister is dealing with this disease too but really hope for "Just" DCIS and minimal treatment.
Please keep us posted!

Ruth
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Becky ~
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how many hard decisions you feel you need to make and I'm so sorry you are faced with this now.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Sandra in GA
08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Becky,
I think there is just an epidemic of this disease. I have no family history, yet I have it. To date my sister is OK. But, a lifelong friend who was born the same day as me and went all through school with me found a lump about six weeks ago. It is estrogen fed breast cancer that has already spread to her vertabra and one rib. As others have said, "This disease sucks!"

Your sister is in my prayers for only DCIS that will require very little treatment.

Sandra

Julie2
08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Becky,

You and your family are my prayers. Hope everything turns out to be OK.

Julie

vlcarr
08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Becky,

Saying prayers and sending hugs for you and your family.

Mary Jo
08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Becky,

I was sorry to read the news of your baby sister. Yes, most defintely, I will pray for her and the the rest of you. May His peace hold you all close as you take your "baby steps!"

Love you sister,

Mary Jo

PatriceH
08-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Sending lots of prayers your way. She's lucky she has a big sis to lean on, who unfortunately learned the ropes and tread a path before her.

sassy
08-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Becky,

I will keep your sister and you in my thoughts and prayers. She couldn't have a better hand-holder than you.

michka
08-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Dear Becky. the last thing we want is others to go through this horrible sickness. So when it is your sister I understand how sad and worried you must be. I hope that the small DCIS will be confirmed.Your sister can count on your love and knowledge. Keep us informed of each baby step. Hugs to both. Michka

Midwest Alice
08-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Hey Becky, So sorry to hear this news. Please know you and your family are in my prayers.

You are a blessing to your family.

Hugs my friend, ~Alice

Ellie F
08-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Hi Becky
Just wanted to add my prayers and hopes that all turns out well for your sister (and you of course).As Sandra said it feels like being in the middle of an epidemic, where nobody is safe! Roll on the cure, we MUST be near by now.
Ellie

Patb
08-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Healing thoughts for your sister and the treatment
she will have.
She has the best to guide her through this and my
prayers for both of you.
patb

sarah
08-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Becky,
very upsetting for you. Let's hope the DCIS is only in the breast and that she isn't HER2 like us. She has an expert in you to turn to for information and support so she's lucky in that.
hugs and love
sarah

Emelie B
08-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Becky,
I am so sorry you have to watch another member of your family go thru the worry, wait and watch of cancer.
I am praying for you and your family that it remains DCIS and nothing more.
Best regards,
Emelie

lexigirl
08-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Becky,

I am sorry that your little sister has been diagnosed w/ DCIS. Prayers that it was caught early and for her comfort as she waits on all the test results.

You will be such an awesome support for her. She is blessed to have you on her side.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

chrisy
08-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Becky,
Holding you all in my prayers.
Chris

Sheila
08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Becky
I hate reading posts like this...i know it is something you were worried about for some time with your sisters...they both have the best advocate and knowledgeable spokeswoman in you....and I know you will be there holding her hand and giving her the best advice when choices have to be made....keeping all of you in my prayers....you are such a great role model for her and many others.

Chelee
08-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Becky, I'm so sorry your sister has to go through this. I can only imagine how hard this must be on the entire family. But that being said I can honestly say I would feel so much comfort having you by my side to walk me through this journey. We all know how scary & overwhelming it is but you are so pro-active and one of the most knowledgeable woman on this board...so your sister will get the best treatment out there...this much I know. I am glad it was caught so early. (Although I wish she didn't have to deal with it at all.) I will be keeping your sister in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending a big hug your way.

Chelee

Becky
08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you all for your love and support. Not surprisingly, my sister is like many of us - terrified of the unknown but as soon as she knew, she flew into action. She is seeing one surgeon right after she picks up her pathology on Wed and another surgeon on Thursday. Komen for the Cure is right there in Dallas (headquarters) and someone sat down with her immediately. Her "tumor" is so small (less than 5mm) that she will most likely only have lumpectomy and radiation but at least they took the time to clue her in on that the next pathology on the lumpectomy will look for clean margins and any invasive component so we talked about that alot yesterday. She is much better. We have all been there - not knowing what the biopsy says yet is worse than finding out, even if it is bad news. She is lucky like me to have a great husband who is at her side. So, I will go down to Dallas but I don't know if I will go for the surgery or during the 3rd or 4 th week of radiation (hopeful that is all it will be but I will keep you all posted). As I said before, she did not want to wait 9 days so she took my advice and kept calling. Therefore, she does not have that report yet that says if it is ER+ or PR+ yet. However, Komen said (and it probably is better received from Komen) that she really did herself a big, big favor by keeping up with her mammograms and to find this so small.

Love to you all for thinking of me during this hard time with our board and the loss of our dear Joe.

tricia keegan
08-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Becky,

How pro active of your sister to ensure she did'nt wait and have this checked asap.

I'll be keeping everything crossed for her, I did'nt have regular mammo's before my own dx so it was already invasive when I found the lump, but it's wonderful to hear of someone who's persistance paid off in this case.

Bill
08-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Beck! My prayers and thoughts are with you and your sister. She's one lucky lady to have you in her corner. I hope you're well. You guys hang in there. Love, Bill

Jean
08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Becky,
Strong prayers are being said!

Hugs and love,
jean

Soccermoninfl
08-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Becky,
So very sorry for your sisters diagnosis!
I know you are the very best advocate there is and that you will hold her steady and securely through the days ahead.

Dr Steven Narod in Canada is studying BRCA- negative families like ours. I am participating and would be happy to give you the contact info if you wish.

Warmly and with concern,
Marcia (soccermom)

Becky
08-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Marcia

I would love Dr. Narod's information.

Thanks!

Joan M
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Becky,

Sorry to hear this news about your sister. I'm praying that all will go well for her.

Joan

Jackie07
08-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Becky,

I'm touched by the bond between you and your sister. My two older sisters are just like you, always try to take care of their baby sister (me).

Please take good care of yourself while helping your sister with her recovery. I'm sending good vibes your way.

ElaineM
08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I am sorry to hear about your sister. Hopefully the cancer was found when it was still small. She is lucky to have you as a sister. Please tell her I have my fingers crossed for her too !!

harrie
08-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Becky,
So sorry to hear about your sister's dx. How lucky she is to have you for a sister!! I can't imagine a better person to have at her side!
I often wonder how many other breast cancer genes are out there. BRCA1 and BRCA2 are the most common so the tests are out for that.