PDA

View Full Version : One more to go...and a question

PatriceH
07-23-2010, 03:54 PM
OK...excited, scared, teary-eyed...one more herceptin treatment to go. Friday August 13th - Is that lucky or what?! Now the uncertainty begins. Whatsoever will I do with all my time now that I don't have appointments every time I turn around...

Not to worry, I have a list of wishes to fill the time...can't wait to get started.

But...kind of started wondering today...If herceptin blocks the growth protein, and all cells die...can herceptin wear off once all the cells it has attached itself to are gone? i.e. now there is nothing in my body to "fight".

???

Jackie07
07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Congratulations, Patrice, on getting to complete your Herceptin treatment in just a few weeks. Don't forget to pat yourself on the shoulder and go celebrate with your friends and family!

Ideally, the long treatment of Herceptin will have caused 'all' the cancer cells to be eliminated. So there's nothing 'bad' in your body that need to be 'fought' any more. This is the purpose (the 'aim', the 'goal') of this 'targeted' and 'systemic' therapy. 'All' the bad guys (cancer cells) have been 'picked up' and wiped out from your body.

Your doctor will schedule routine check-ups which will include blood tests, scans, and physical exams. If there is anything 'new', they can use either Herceptin or Herceptin combined with other meds such as Tykerb, Novelbine,...

I went on four years withouth knowing there was a (local-regional)recurrence growing right out of the original lumpectomy site. My surgeon was more upset than me when the 'bigger' tumor was confirmed in 2007 (she thought she had had a 'clean' margin, but evidently she had missed something and everyone elses misinterpreted the follow-up mammograms.) But life goes on. Just another surgery, another round of treatment. Three more years later, I'm still here - lost some bone density, but otherwise strong and healthy.

Never cared that much about the term 'NED' and wouldn't dwell on the concept too much because of my past experience. But there are many of us here on the Board (and many who have left the Board) who have been 'NED' (No Evidence of Disease)for many years.

Some (like Christine - the founder of this wonderful site) stayed NED even after having had brain mets. Several others have treated liver mets or mets in other areas. I had a scare last fall when my neck was hurting and experienced 'vertigo' after doing exercise. I was so sure there was metastasis on my neck - turned out to be 'cervical vertebrae degeneration'. Not a good thing - it hurts when I am not careful - but it's not cancer.

Staying active (which builds up both our bones and our immune system), staying positive (which increases the realease of endorphin), and staying vigilant (which helps catch things early) will help us guard against the villain.

You are absolutely right to be asking these questions. But trust me, our body is so much stronger and more resiliant than we give it credit for. There will be plenty in your body to 'fight' when there's a need. Though most likely you will be joining the many women here to be celebrating 'NED' year after year.

In the meanwhile, I'll continue to 'eat, drink, and be merry...' As the late Dr. Joe Weldon Bailey had stated (with a big smile) upon learning his 'terminal' skin cancer: "We are all 'terminal'!"

Again, congratulations!

Chelee
07-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Patrice, I remember being worried about my last Herceptin infusion. I believe that is very common with most all of the Her2 gals. You naturally feel like you have nothing to fight/protect you from it coming back. But no worries...Herceptin has done it's job. I know I kind of felt like I was missing something at first? No more labs, infusion's...only 3 month follow-ups with onc...strange feeling at first. But it passed quickly. :) It was so odd not to be down at the cancer center...then it took no time at all and I was enjoying all my free time and you will too. So enjoy each and every day. Congratulations...you reached the finish line. Woo hoo! (Happy dance, Happy dance!)

Chelee

1rarebird
07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Patrice--Even us old guys get 'teary' when the nurse pulls the last needle out of the IV port and says, "All done--wasn't so bad was it?" That's what happened to me last Monday, as my Herceptin-year came to an end.

I admit it is somewhat frightening to realize that the aggressive part of you cancer fight (surgery, chemo, radiation and Herceptin, for me) is for now and hopefully forever at an end. But I feel better 5 days later after I realized we can still actively fight recurrence of the disease through lifestyle and dietary changes. And, oh yes, don't forget the bisphosphonate and Tamoxifen. I will concentrate on those; but I did take a picture of the empty, last, 52nd bag of Herceptin and suspect I will get the photo out from time to time to remember my Herceptin-year. If I remain cancer free, I will eventually get it framed and on put on the wall.

Good luck to you and us all---

bird