PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp

PatriceH
07-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Ok, ladies. At the last (not the last, but most recent) herceptin treatment they made me get on the scale.

Ok, it hit a number I cannot live with.

This past year of being so exhausted I could barely move, although I worked hard on walking the dogs, are over.

It's bootcamp for me. It's gonna be an early call (6:00a) to fit it into my life, but something's gotta give and it aint' gonna be my body. That's gone too far already!

Two days into it, I hurt but it's a good hurt...My target is 3 days a week or every other day-ish.

Last year I improved my eating, somewhat, now I guess it's time to work on moving.

I'm hoping I can stick with it..even if anger is my motivator...at least I have a project to work on--ME!

Any support is welcome!

Henny
07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Good for you Patrice-the first step is the hardest.
It doesn't matter how long or hard you exercise each time-Doing it is what matters.Over time you'll build up your strength and endurance and feel better every day.

I used to swim and during treatment couldn't even get acoss the pool one time. I told myself that as long as I got in the water it was ok. Slowly built my muscles back up (not that you can see them but I walk taller now) and feel sooo much better.

Exercise and just moving more is something I know I'll always have to do-maybe I'll have weeks when I can't do much but will always come back to it the next week

You can do this and the rewards will be immense. Now is the time to take care of you!

Mary Anne in TX
07-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Just stay mad and celebrate your victories!
You can do it!

karen z
07-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Your plan of exercising first thing in the morning is probably the best plan. You can do this- one day at a time.

karen z
07-11-2010, 12:39 PM
And, by the way, you are in very good company. All of the treatment, etc. certainly can do a "number" on the body (no pun intended).

tricia keegan
07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Congrats Patrice on making a starting a "Plan"...not easy as we all can vouch for!

I find walking the most enjoyable exercise for me with my ipod going and my favourite music, I live by a beach which makes it easier though:)

I think once you find something you enjoy, it does'nt feel like hard work anymore but something you really want to add to your day. I love lap swimming too, but started out with water aerobics which was great for toning and no aches afterwards as the water takes your weight! :)

Goodluck to you! x

Chelee
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
It sounds like your off to a great start. It's hard to stay motivated when most of us are fighting some fatigue caused by trt so don't be to hard on yourself. Just start off slow and try not to over do it at first. I find once I get up and get going...even on the days I don't feel like it...I end up feeling 100% better. Wishing you all the best.

Chelee

imdavidson
07-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Wonderful, Patrice! You're doing a very good thing for yourself.

Jackie07
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Good for you!

I've been 'thinking' about doing the same thing. :)

But it's so hot outside right now. 6 am is a good plan. We've got a new 'water fall' just 20 minutes down from our street. It's a good motivation - but I don't feel safe to go there by myself.

And so many new neighbors have moved into our street, I don't feel comfortable to walk up and down the hill like I used to...

Carol.hope
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Patrice,
Good for you! My new oncologists firmly believes that exercise is important in avoiding recurrence, in addition to making that scale number look better. The first step is the hardest, and you're on it! Keep it up, and tell us how it goes!

- Carol