PDA

View Full Version : When Food and Pills Clash

hutchibk
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Good article...
When Food and Pills Clash - Fresh Concerns on How Diet and Medicines Interact, From Pepper to Pomegranate

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704256304575320743052254682.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

In one recent study, Dr. Arnason's team examined dozens of different kinds of beers. They found that the "hoppier" or more bitter beers reduced the effect of the cancer drug Tamoxifen, when compared with beers that were less hopped. The study was published this year in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

ElaineM
06-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks. This is an important topic.

Becky
06-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Thanks for posting. I think everyone on the board views food differently than the general population (meaning that for me, food can be medicine and as such, can interact with prescribed drugs).

Also, food can be poison - such as the "edible products" found on supermarket shelves.

Its been a long time Brenda. I trust you are doing well.

Laurel
06-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey, Brenda, glad that tamoxifen seems to be workin' for ya. Thanks for the post!

Jackie07
06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Every Chinese New Year, residents in Taiwan (perhaps Hong Kong as well) receive free 'Farmer's Calendar' from unknown sources. (These days one might have to purchase it?) On the back cover there are pictures of perhaps 20 food combinations that are supposedlly poisonous listed in bright illustrations.

It also gives the remedies in case one does gets diarrhea or other adverse reactions from eating the wrong combination of the food. Plain milk is the antidote to several of them, I remember.

Thanks, Brenda, for the information.