PDA

View Full Version : 3 months short of 10 years since diagnosis

StephN
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Had my quarterly visit with my oncologist yesterday. Last week's CT scan showed no signs of cancer. Blood work was all normal and tumor markers where they should be!

I go to the cancer center only every 3 months or so and now I am really starting to feel like a stranger when I go there. My cancer center is hopping and it is often hard to find parking. There are always people waiting for elevators in spite of a new one added. Some of the areas have been repainted so don't look familiar.

Only problem is my back seized up on me over Memorial weekend. Had an ambulance ride to emergency and an MRI of my spine was ordered. Turned out to be a lower lumbar strain, which required a lot of rest and inactivity.

I have a bit of disc dengeneration, but nothing that being careful won't handle.

Normal aging - yeah! That is an interesting concept for someone with my medical history!

Pam P
06-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Congratulations on your continued NED!!!

Chelee
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi Steph, Big congratulations on the clean CT & blood work. Woo hoo. Doesn't get much better then that. That is terrific! But obviouly that wasn't enough excitement for you since you decided to spice things up with a ambulance ride. But in all seriousness...I am so sorry to hear about your back problem. I know how painful that can be. I sure hope your feeling better.

We are the only group that could have a MRI and be happy that they found some disc dengeneration versus that obvious. I'm glad it turned out to be nothing but normal changes we get with age. I hope you are resting your back...this is a good excuse to kick back if you need one. ;) Again...congrats on remaining NED. Now if you decide to celebrate...be careful. :)

Chelee

ElaineM
06-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Congratulations Steph !! Way to go !!!!! (as far as the clean scans and tumor markers are concerned. Of course you will need to take care of the other problem, but after cancer you can do anything, right?

krisvell
06-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Steph,
Congratulations.. I just love reading these kind of stories. Enjoy!
Kris....

chrisy
06-17-2010, 04:46 PM
WOW Steph - and congratulations on getting older, that's the whole idea!

Laurel
06-17-2010, 06:42 PM
My hero.....

hutchibk
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Laurel beat me to it... but I concur! My hero and inspiration. Much love to you, Steph!

Patb
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
This calls for a grand celebration, what are you
planning? Congratulations.
patb

caya
06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow Steph - nearly 10 years, count 'em, 10 years out!!

Doing the happy dance for ya!!!

all the best
caya

Sherryg683
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
You go girl. When did you discontinue herceptin.
sherry

harrie
06-17-2010, 11:24 PM
That is absolutely fantastic Steph!! High 5 to you!! you are a true success story and I love it!!

ammebarb
06-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Steph, loved your news! Hope the back is feeling better. As my oncologist used to say, "Keep up the good work!"

Barb A.

tricia keegan
06-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Congratulations Steph! I really hope your back feels better soon but how wonderful getting older is next to the alternative:)

Emelie B
06-18-2010, 06:28 AM
How wonderful you must feel! Congratulations!!

schoolteacher
06-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Stephanie,

You know you are my hero. I beat Seattle is beautiful. We have been having 90's here in Georgia.

Congratulations on your good report and almost 10 years.

Amelia

StephN
06-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone -
To answer Sherry:
I stopped taking Herceptin in December of 2008 - so more than a year and a half off of it.

My back is better, and I have a session tomorrow with the physical therapist connected to my local gym. Just want to restart a workout program with proper direction.

To celebrate? Right now we are working on a kitchen update. Maybe a trip to France in fall if business meets expectations.

Actually I "celebrate" each day with some accomplishment, no matter how small.

P.S. Amelia - this is the coldest, wettest June anyone can remember!! Maybe it is the ash from the Iceland volcano that is messing with our weather. They said it might.

Jean
06-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Steph,
Had to chuckle as I read your wonderful news on your recent checkup and ride to the er....

My first thoughts to you are - I hope your bones continue to get real old.....(teehee).

Seriously - how terrific is it to reach that huge 10milestone...after all you have been through.
Continued best wishes and NED!

Love and hugs,
jean

CourtneyL
06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Steph, you are my hero! I am thrilled you are doing so well. Can't wait to toast you soon on my next trip to Seattle. Take care and keep on thriving!

Sheila
06-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Steph..you are such an inspiration...only we would think a problamatic back is no big deal....

you are a testimony that there is life after Stage IV...what an inspiration to anyone on this site!

CONGRATULATIONS.....hope someday I can join you in the ned group!

Ceesun
06-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Terrific, Steph-just great news!

AlaskaAngel
06-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Steph, you are part of the first new wave for HER2's, with so many unknowns along the way and so many decisions about how to best shape your treatment at each turn in the road... a road that looked short when you started... Many, many more miles to you!

A.A.

suzan w
06-19-2010, 04:08 PM
way to go!!! I will be back in Seattle in Aug for my 5 year check ups...would love to meet you!! XO Suzan

bejuce
06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
This is wonderful to hear. Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring the rest of us!

karen z
06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Steph,
Many congratulations on such wonderful news!!!
Karen

jml
06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Congratulations, Steph!
Brilliant:)
Here's to 10thousand more...

jhandley
06-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Hi Steph
Well done on clean scans. I am having one this Thursday and hopefully I will be back in remission again after 9 weeks back on herceptin and abraxane.
My 10 years will be in April next year...i am afew months behind you.
Cheers
Jackie (down under)

Catherine
06-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Congratulations Steph,

Thanks for sharing your good news. Maybe you and I should bottle up some of this Northwest Rain and send it to our friends in the south with all that hot sunshine. Maybe the rain caused your back to seize up...tee, hee.

I agree with the others,you are an inspiration and we are so happy for your 10 year mark with only more to come.

Hugs, Catherine

StephN
06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Forgot to mention though it can be figured out from my sig below.

EIGHT of those ten years as Stage IV. HA! Take that cancer schmanser ...

Suzan - just let me know the dates you will be up here. We'll do it this time.

Catherine - Some folks definitely could use some of this wet stuff. End of June and our heat still comes on at times, but we are saving on watering outside. Still want hot soup for lunch - not a summer thing!

Barbara2
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
What a wonderful story you have to share. Thanks for your many contributions to this website.

(I have degenerative issues with my back, as well, which can cause a heck of a scare from time to time. How thankful we are when we learn that the aches/pains are caused from "just" aging.)

Joan M
06-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Steph,

Congratulations! You're an inspiration!

Joan

Gerri
06-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Steph,

Posts like yours give others so much hope! Thank you for all you contribute to this board. You are truly at the core of what makes this support group such a great place to be.

Be sure and post in 3 months so we can celebrate you all over again!

Jackie07
06-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Steph,

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your story and your journey. My recurrence was classified as IIB like your initial diagnosis. Now I'm very hopeful that I may be NED down the road just like you. (Not sure if I should have counted myself as being 3-year NED or not...)