PDA

View Full Version : ASCO over--reports to follow--sorry for the "silence" (computer in the shop 4 fixing)

Lani
06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
One of the most interesting talks was given on the last day and speaker was from MDAnderson. They took Stage IVs who were heavily pretreated from various solid cancers and treated them either with
Avastin+sunitib
Avastin+sorafinib
Avastin+herceptin+lapatinib
Avastin+cefituximab+ erlotinib

Four VERY expensive arms

her2+ bc treated with the third arm did remarkably well considering how much pretreatment the patients had. Will pull out my notes and post later

There was also a poster by Martine Piccart et al on a subset of her2+ bc which was ER+ with a prognosis worse than triple negative. Noone represented the poster, so not able to ask questions. Will seek answers elsewhere.

Still trying to get over the meeting (exhausting), catch up with things I got behind on while computer fixed and get situated.

Ellie F
06-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Have a good rest Lani, then let us know the good news! We all need some.
Ellie

Lien
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for keeping us up to speed. I saw something about that ER+ subgroup. Scares me, as I'm triple positive. Do you remember whether the recurrances were early or later? As Im 6 years out, it would make me feel better if those recurrances were, say, within the first 2 years or so... ;-)

Sandra in GA
06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you Lani for all your work attending this meeting and sorting through all the information. I would especially like to hear about the report on the AE37 vaccine that is being used in the Walter Reed trials for HLA-A2- folks. I am in the middle of this trial and would apppreciate any information that you gleened.
Thanks again for all you do for this board.
Sandra

Unregistered
06-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi, thought I'd post this link and see if anyone (Lani) can throw some light on it

http://abstract.asco.org/AbstView_74_52978.html

It seems to contradict but I am don't really understand all the scientific terms so could have it all wrong :-)

Thanks

Unregistered
06-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Lien,

How long have you been injecting mistletoe? Do you have to pay for it in Holland? I am from the UK and have been injecting it for about 3 years now, I get it on NHS! Do you know how long you stay on it? I see you have stopped hormone therapy now, I was diagnosed 5 years ago this month so my 5 years on Arimidex will be up next year but I am thinking of staying on it, did you have a choice?

Sorry for all the questions but don't think there's many on here that inject mistletoe....... could be wrong so if anyone else does please let us know.

I'm also concerned about Lani's post :-( Whic is why I posted above link.

Suzi

tricia keegan
06-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Thanks Lani, as another triple pos I also will be interested in more info when you get it.

Suzi, thanks for your link too and I had the same impression as you on reading it so will be very interested in finding out more.

Unregistered
06-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Tricia, there seems to be a lot of confusion when it comes to luminal B, here's a few :-)

luminal B (HR+/HER2+),................this is from ASCO link I quoted above

The following is from a report on Breastcancer.org called "Breast Cancer Risk Factors Vary by Tumor Subtype"......
hormone-receptor-positive (either estrogen- and/or progesterone-positive), HER2-positive breast cancer, called luminal B breast cancer

The following from a report on Breastcancer.org called "ASCO Breast: Analysis Revises Taxane Benefit in Breast Cancer"......
Luminal B tumors are hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative, and fast-growing. They were the third most common type of tumor (18%).............

Susan G Komen site:
Luminal B........ER+ and/or PR+, HER2+ (or HER2- with high Ki67) accounts for 6-19%

And this....Luminal B tumors are estrogen receptor and/or progesterone receptor positive, as well as Her2 positive.......... But don't know where I found it!

Lastly on google search:
Luminal B breast tumors are not HER2 positive.
by R Bhargava - 2008

I'm confused!

Suzi

Hopeful
06-10-2010, 06:49 AM
The information in this thread sounded familiar, so I did a quick search. I think the discussion and links in this thread may shed some light: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45054&referrerid=1173

Hopeful

Unregistered
06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
What the abstract says to me is that with the use of Herceptin, HR+/Her2+ tumors have now jumped over the pack and have the best prognosis and are followed by HR+/Her2- tumors on the scale (these used to be the best type, as we all recall). HR-/Her2+ are 3rd on the prognostic scale. So, even the HR- tumors that are Her2+ are looking better than they would have without Herceptin. My guess is triple negative will jump up the ladder with the PARP inhibitors. That's the plan, the science should keep improving so that we all keep leap-frogging ahead and things look better for all of us. I'm looking forward to more good news from ASCO.

tricia keegan
06-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for posting that Suzi, and also hopeful for that link which I found a little easier to understand but must confess to still just trying to get my head around all this!

Unregistered
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Just to clarify, the last post that clarified the abstract was not from Suzi. I'm just another member who was in a rush and didn't log in.

Thanks.
SS

tricia keegan
06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks anyway SS!!!

Unregistered
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
SS, sorry if my original post quoting the abstract confused you, I didn't have a problem understanding it, in fact I thought it was self explanatory! Then wondered if I was missing something and to me that was where the luminal B came into the picture. What I was wondering is why some reports say luminal B is hormone and Her2 positive and others say it's hormone positive and Her2 negative.

I was just saying it contradicted Lani's post ( I appreciate that there are lots of subtypes) I suppose like Tricia being hormone and Her2 positive I want to believe the abstract :-)

Suzi