PDA

View Full Version : Reaction with re-load dose of Herceptin?

momo
06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I had to take a break from Herceptin of 3 weeks. I've had 15 out of 18.

I have to choose whether to restart or not. Am I more likely to get a reaction by going back on it again do you think? I would need to have a re-load dose over 2 hours. (I did not have a problem the first time around.)

Thanks

Rich66
06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
What kind of reaction made you stop?

momo
06-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I didn't stop because of Herceptin problems. I have not had any problems or side effects from that. I stopped because of personal problems - nothing to do with Her or cancer.

Jackie07
06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
If you did not have reactions in your previous 15, there shouldn't be any problem for the next 3.

I thought most patients in UK only gets 12 weeks of Herceptin. Have they changed the practice? [I could be mistaken - just remembered that there's a study done in UK several years back stating 12 weeks of Herceptin is about as effective as the whole year.]

momo
06-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Jackie - I have not heard of the 12 week one. I have heard about a study on 9 doses being sufficient. So, I may be continuing when I don't really need to. I suppose I may as well do it all just in case.

weety
06-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I had to stop and restart herceptin and they did not give a "re-loading" dose. I just picked up where I left off. I was wondering about this so I asked Lily at Jhopkins breast cancer site and she said "reloading" is not necessary for herceptin breaks. All my research seemed to indicate otherwise, though, so I don't know the right answer. I'm thinking maybe the reloading dose is either outdated now or maybe just indicated when the breaks are much longer. Anyone with any other information???

Rich66
06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't have it handy but..there has been talk about benefit of increasing the usual Herceptin dose. I don't think that's been put in place but..if you could get a boost via "reload" or whatever term works, might be worth getting.

Chelee
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Weety, My onc lost track of my Herceptin infusions once and "thought" I had missed some due to down time I had for a femur surgery. I found out accidently from my chemo nurse that I was given a "loading dose" of Herceptin when I shouldn't have.

Then my concern was I had a higher dose then needed but was informed it was fine and it wouldn't hurt me...that actually it might benefit me. Who knows...all I know is I'm still told a loading dose of Herceptin is necessary when starting it back up. That still seems to be the protocol at my center.

Chelee

momo
06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
weety - they told me that if the break in Herceptin is only a week then you just carry on with normal dose. Mine was over a week late (3 weeks actually) and that is why I had a re-load.