PDA

View Full Version : changing the pH in water helps fight cancer

Midwest Alice
05-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi, I am posting this again to see if any one knows about cancer growth in relationship pH of the body.

Everyone is on Holiday and I hope will check in in a few days.
Is alkaline something to be concerned about?

Just learning about the importance of the body pH balance. Several bc friends are tracking their pH balance here in my circle.

There are several places to buy these ionizers on line and they are quite an investment.

Debbie L.
05-31-2010, 08:38 AM
From Dr. Andrew Weil's website:

Home water ionizers, which I've seen offered for sale on the internet, are just the latest twist in the ongoing effort to promote the notion that alkaline water is somehow protective of your health. The underlying idea is that you can prevent disease by balancing your body's pH. Promoters claim that alkaline water is energizing, hydrates the body more effectively than regular water, improves the taste of food when used in cooking, promotes "regularity," helps the body absorb nutrients more effectively, and on and on. I've even seen claims that it can cure everything from obesity and high blood pressure to breast cancer.

None of these claims are true. Furthermore, your body needs absolutely no help in adjusting its pH. Normally, the pH of blood and most body fluids is near seven, which is close to neutral. This is under very tight biological control because all of the chemical reactions that maintain life depend on it. Unless you have serious respiratory or kidney problems, body pH will remain in balance no matter what you eat or drink. As for water, you should consider the fact that alkaline water is common throughout the western states but to my knowledge it has not protected anyone from the diseases and disorders that occur elsewhere in the U.S.

The health claims for water ionizers and for alkaline water are bogus. Save your money.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

hutchibk
05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks DL. I learned the same from Dr. Weil a couple of years ago... actually, I kinda look to Dr. Weil as my "Snopes" verification when it comes to claims such as this. Drinking clean water is the most important thing, and that can also be an expensive proposition. UV/reverse osmosis systems are the best way to go (though not cheap), but in lieu of that for now, I use the Clear 2 0 pitcher, which is a solid carbon core pitcher, for all of my drinking and cooking water. It's the most affordable way for me to try and filter out as much of the bad crap as possible (flouride, chlorine, arsenic, etc...)

As soon as we can afford an under sink system, we are getting one.

Rich66
05-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Some info on PH and Bicarb:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39278

hutchibk
05-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Rich, If I am reading the info correctly the discussions are more about the PH of the tumor as opposed to trying to change the PH of the body. Am I mistaken?

Jean
05-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you Thank you....Debbie and Brenda.
It is a shame that companies prey on people like this.
I had this discusstion about a month ago with my son's girlfriend (who is not a dr.) but a Physics and chemistry teacher. She just shook her head back and forth.
She explained it this way....

Our bodies have different needs such as our stomach.
We need to have the acids in that organ while our lungs certainly require a different PH balance. Our bodies do the job (as long as they are healthy).

Also, consider the role tomatoes and tomatoe sauce plays in our bodies. While that fruit is an acid fruit it is well known that diets rich in tomatoes and tomatoe sauce is a strong deterent for many types of cancer.

Gallus study is indeed more evidence that a Mediterranean diet is a good idea.
Lycopene in cooked tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and tomato juice has been
shown to slow the growth of breast, lung and endometrial tumors and to reduce prostate, stomach and pancreatic cancer risk.

Those findings alone - debunk the PH acid balnce out of the ball park.

Rich66
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
I take the research as suggesting a systemic ingestion of bicarb may selectively affect tumors and their reaction to treatment. Maybe not the same thinking as behind the water..but seemed related.
There is also related research regarding proton pump inhibitors (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=222348#post222348) and cancer.