PDA

View Full Version : Pain/discomfort on radiated side (ribs?) when waking up

bejuce
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been waking up with some pain/discomfort where my right cancerous breast used to be (rib cage area). I tend to sleep on the sides and feel it the most when I sleep on my right side. I don't feel the pain at any other time, just when waking up and I'm still in bed contemplating the day ahead.

Of course I'm freaking out - especially because yesterday at my oncologist's appt she ordered a bone scan (which I'll do tomorrow, please pray and send your positive thoughts my way). I had a bone scan right when I was diagnosed and it was clear, so I'm thinking that if it was clear then, it should be clear now as I'm still on Herceptin (had a dose yesterday, two more to go). Still, I'm worried.

Has anyone experienced discomfort/pain on the post-radiated-post-mastectomy side that is due to surgical scars/inflammation/radiation? What is the likelihood of finding out I have bone mets while still on Herceptin treatment?

Thank you so much!

Marcia

whatz
05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Hej BJ,
I didn't have radiation but had Taxol (I assume Taxotere is in the same family). I hurt in various places all the time (also still on Herceptin). My onc ordered a CT and bone scan. Had the CT already and it was clear. Haven't had the bone scan yet but have a feeling it's clear as well and think my aches/pains are lingering issues from the chemo. Still good your onc is checking things out. I've also heard people complain about arthritic type pain that are on Tamoxifen (so that could be a culprit as well).

Rich66
05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
My mom has had this type of thing on and off since surgery in '05. Consiederd scar tissue.

sassy
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Many of us have experienced rib pain after surgery/radiation/chemo. I'm over five years out and I still have soreness and pain. Went through the bone scans etc. My most significant period of pain did reveal cracked ribs, but I had the pain prior and since.

Good to get it checked out, but know you are not the first to experience this. Hopefully its just another "gift" from his wonderful disease and its treatment.

BTW--has anyone told you that you look like Sally Field?

Laurel
05-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Marsha,

When I sleep on my left side (affected side) I am often more sore there the next day or so. My node bx scar is usually tender, and especially so with certain activities. The nurses at my surgeon's office told me women 10 yrs out can still have tender areas from scar tissue tautness. She suggests for many it never abates.

I do comprehend your feelings of fear and trepidation regarding the pain. I am totally with you there. It seems we will never shake that "when will the shoe drop" monkey from our backs. I suppose that is part and parcel with trying to live on after a cancer scare.

Prayers for a clear scan coming your way. Please let us know when you know.

Ellie F
05-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi Marcia
I had this also. Firstly whilst on taxotere but also since being on herceptin alone. Somedays it's worse than others. I also get it if I have slept with my arm in a different position.
Best Ellie

Shobha
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi Marcia,

I too experienced pain in my ribs after radiation and in fact, still do off and on. My prayers are with you to have clean bone scan and get back your peace of mind.

hugs,
shobha

Hopeful
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Marcia,

I also had rib pain on my affected side during rads and for almost a year after I finished the tx. It seems to be a common long term SE. One article I read said that the rads caused an "arthritis like" inflammation around the ribs, which was responsible for the pain. Hope that helps, and best of luck to you with your scan.

Hopeful

bejuce
05-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much for your support! Had my bone scan this morning and it was all clear, woohoo!!!! Now I'll be able to hopefully have a more worry-free summer!

As for the pain, I'll see my surgeon next week - perhaps he can offer some guidance on what to do.

Hooray for a clear scan!

Laurel
05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Hurrah. I find if you try to be cognizant of your sleeping posture you will see that you are doing something odd, like sleeping with your arms over your head on your pillow (as I do sometimes and then notice my right hand itches constantly the next day!). I am very glad your scan was negative!!!!

Becky
05-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Marcia

I am happy your scan came out good. I just wanted to comment that I am almost 6 yrs out and still get rib pain on my affected side and I am supposing that I always will. With these aches and pains, oh well... we are still here and well!

Peace

schoolteacher
05-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Marcia,

Glad to hear the news about your bone scan. Have a wonderful summer.

Amelia

Lien
05-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Good to hear your scan was clear. I had those pains on and off. Don't seem to get them anymore though.

Hugs

Jacqueline

Jackie07
05-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Glad for the good news. I recalled my own episode of 'rib metastsis' suspecion. My oncologist's explanation was that because of the surgeries I've had (and without reconstruction), my chest area (muscles and bones) had shifted some to adjust for the empty space - thus the irritation and discomfort sometimes.

Karen Wheel
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Marcia -

Great news...

As for pain .... I still have it too (we are about the same time frame for surgery and radiation --- last year) but I tend to try to sleep on my back as it tends to cut down on the pain --- but a lot of times end up waking up on my side. I even sleep with a pillow so I can't turn over (under my knees) but when I wake up in the night and can't sleep - I tend to revert to my comfort position on my side and end up hugging the pillow so I don't turn all the way over to my stomach (which really hurts later!).

So, think its the radiation. I know I just had my follow-up (8 months out) for rads and I was asking a lot of questions about pain, as I still have more than I thought was normal. But they said I could have pain for another year (at least!) ugh.... not sure why they don't tell us this up front. It seems they really almost hide the pain after effects --- at least I felt that way.

Hang in there - and enjoy your summer! I know I am going to try to do the same! My bone scan a few weeks ago was clear too!

xoxo Karen