PDA

View Full Version : Finished Chemo, then...

KimB
05-10-2010, 04:18 AM
I finished Chemo on April 29, 2010, and I am still standing (HaHa).

My three tumors, which appeared on the chest after my mastectomy, look and feel pretty much gone.

I am going to get another surgery to remove the skin at my chest, where the three tumors were. My surgeon, first didn't want to do the surgery. Then, he suggested to do biopsy to check if there are any cancer remaining. Finally he agreed to do a limited skin removing surgery. I am getting a second opinion from another surgeon soon. Since my recurrence, I have been feeling that I and my surgeon are not on a same page anymore. I trust my feelings.

The skin removing surgery was suggested by my med onc. The Chemo I was receiving is for systemic, also neoadjuvant (for three tumors on my chest). After neoadjuvant, the area must be treated with radiation or surgery. Since I've already had radiation, my onc won't give me another round. He wants me to get this surgery so that we can lower the risk of more tumors coming back at the same area.

I have been feeling very positive about this surgery. While we were discussing about it, my onc said,"While we haven't found any mets yet, I do everything to try to cure you." He wasn't trying to give me a false hope as using a word "cure." He clearly told me that most of the odds are agains me and I need to live one day at a time. My cancer came back very fast; the tumors grew in the astounding speed. I was preparing the worst in mind because I didn't want to be disappointed if the worst became real. But my onc refleshed my hope, which had got very stale by that time. It's OK to have a good today; it's OK to hope a good tomorrow.

I am in peace now. I hope all of you be in peace also.

Kim

Shobha
05-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Kim,

I really like your upbeat attitude! The good news is that you are all clear now and herceptin will do its due diligence for you. Wishing you many many NED years!

hugs,
shobha

Jackie07
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Kim,

Sounds like you are not just 'standing', but standing tall...

Suegeons and medical oncologists think differently sometimes. I'd think they had talked to each other before giving you their[conflicting] opinions... (must not have communicated too well...)

Be sure to keep us posted...

krisvell
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Kim,
Glad that you got encouraging news. I'm routing for you.
Kris....

Jean
05-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Kim,
Glad to hear your good news of finishing chemo.
Reading your signature and your first bc dx. you were her2-..then you had recurrence to the site. Which was her2 positive, well now that you have had chemo/herceptin you have given those cells that were on your chest a good whipping. The surgery will give you another strong stand in kicking any cells to the curb.

Sending you best wishes and please keep us updated your surgery.

Kind Regards,
Jean

KimB
05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Thank you very much Ladies for your encouragement. It's really comforting when it comes from you. It's just nice. I love this!!

Kim

ElaineM
05-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Best wishes for your skin surgery. Heal well.

schoolteacher
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Kim,

Glad to hear you have finished chemo. Let us know how the surgery goes.

Amelia