PDA

View Full Version : I finally have a surgery date

Faith in Him
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I will be having a tram flap the first week of May to close my open wound from rads. Then a reduction on the other side to even me out. Does anyone know how long recovery is and any advice? I'll still be responsible for the kidos everyday needs and I'm wondering how much I'll be able to do.

Thanks, Tonya

tricia keegan
04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Tonya, I can't give any advice from personal experience but want to wish you luck and a speedy recovery:)

lexigirl
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't have any tram advice either, but I am happy that you have a date set. Time for healing and repair!

Hugs,
Lexi

schoolteacher
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Tonya,

Glad to hear you have set the date for your surgery. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Amelia

Jackie07
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Tonya,

Good to know that you are 'ready'!

Less than 2 months ago there were some discussion on the topic. I saw at least two useful links listed in the thread and thought I'd attached the link here:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43853&highlight=tram+flap

Joan M
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Tonya,

I'm glad you're finally able to have a flap! There's "closure" in more than one way after the long haul with the mets.

I had immediate reconstruction with a DIEP flap and was really out of commission for at least a week. I think it would be good to have somebody helping you out, especially since your kids are young.

I had five drains. Two near my underarm (one was inserted by the breast surgeon), and three in the abdomen. They were hard to handle, and I had to keep measuring the amount of fluid.

Mary Jo had DIEP reconstruction later. Perhaps she can give you some input as well.

Joan

Ellie F
04-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Really glad to hear your news. Sorry don't have any advice but wishing you the very best for surgery and recovery.

Ellie

ElaineM
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't have any experience to share with you, but I want to wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.