PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Med & Homeland Security

StephN
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Have not seen anyone mention this, so thought I would bring it up.

When I had my bone scan a couple of weeks ago, I was given a bright yellow card by the nurse who administered the radioactive contrast.

That was a first for me. She asked me to carry this card with me for the next 3 or 4 days, and especially if I was travelling and may pass a security checkpoint.

The card front says "the patient has had a nuclear medicine procedure and may still have a small amount of radiation capable of detection by radiation monitoring equipment."

The back has the specifics including the name of the nuclide, the amount, half life, period of detection, and a phone number to call for verifiction.

I guess this card could save someone a lot of hassle!

Rich66
04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
You missed your smuggling window ;)

Chelee
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Steph, This must be something new they are doing? I just had bone scan in March and I didn't receive a yellow card. I do think it is a great idea especially for those that travel alot.

Chelee

Barbara H.
04-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I have been receiving this card for over a year. Almost three years ago I was stopped at the boarder between Michigan and Canada because the US officials detected radiation coming out of our car. At first they said our car failed the test, and we were a little shocked until they asked if someone had been to a doctor. Then it became quite clear. We all had to get out of the car and they drove the car through the boarder. Then they used a geiger counter on everyone, and sure enough I was was detected. Of course, after we arrived at my parents my husband told the joke that he had "one hot woman." Believe me, it was only a joke!
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
P.S. It's interesting that I was not detected when we first drove into Canada from N.Y.

PinkGirl
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM
I've always been given a piece of paper explaining that I might
have trouble crossing the Can/US border.

StephN
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Ha, ha, Pink.

We all know that you always have some residual radioactivity going on! Maybe they invented this card just for you?

chrisy
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
pink girl, maybe that is because they know you might be smuggling spray cheese.

I've never gotten a "yellow card" but did get a letter on USCF letterhead once!

Reminds me, I will be flying the day after my next scan so I'll have to make sure I get my note!

PinkGirl
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I didn't think about the spray cheese issue...maybe that's what the
paper is for ... I thought it was because people always tell me that
there's a "glow" to me .... ;) I have never thought too much about
this warning cuz I barely leave the yard.

VirginiaGirl
04-09-2010, 04:03 AM
I have never received a card, but for a couple years now after every PET/CT they tell me to avoid flying or going to the White House!

Henny
04-09-2010, 05:51 AM
When I was working in Nuclear medicine, I heard of a man who went to the county dump after having a heart scan. He set off the geiger counters and they couldn't figure out where the radioactivity was coming from so they had him strip naked and he still was hot. At that point he remembered his heart test.
I hope to remember before I have to take all my clothes off

sassy
04-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Pink,

That "glow" is coming from hot flashes.

Jackie07
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Couldn't stop laughing reading all the postings, so I thought I'd write something to keep this thread alive...

Cal-Gal
04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
hi there-I have never received a card--and actually, I find this a bit scary--for us!!!! something from a science-fiction novel--perhaps someone on this board has enough energy to write a good book!!!!

flynny
04-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I have received a card every time I had my muga scan, first one being in 2008. I go to Dana Farber in Boston, MA