PDA

View Full Version : crazy AI trick for joint pain - part 2 - what the Dr. Said

Donna
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Okay, so to re-cap, I wanted to know: since each AI I have tried took a few months to grow into full blown joint pain and each one hit a different area (Femara lower body joints, Arimidex hands) and now on to Aromasin to see how it works - would it be medically efficacious to just keep switching every couple of months to stay ahead of the side effects each produces?

My oncologist said I could try that, absolutely - but her prediction would be that now that I am three years into this and the mechanism of action on the AI's is similar, I might not go back to square one and start over on each, that they would simply progress from where I am now.

She did, however, point out that the next thing I might try assuming Aromasin might not be the magic bullet I am hoping for, would be Tamoxifen. The mechanism of action is different - it fills the estrogen receptors so it is blocked - but it has shown to be slightly less effective than the AI's for her-2. She was quick to point out these were small studies and quality of life is a big issue to consider since my side effects are definitely affecting my daily life.

So - there you go - we have options! I wonder if I had started switching AI's early on before side effects advanced to this point if I could have been in better shape now? Or would the cumulative effect still be the same? Anyway, food for thought,

Have a great day everyone!

Donna

BonnieR
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Have you tried this approach yet? It seems to have some merit. I am needing to switch off Femara after 3 years due to joint pain.

Donna
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Bonnie,

I guess you could say I am trying this approach - I was on Arimidex for less than a year and then on Femara - it was about a year before the joint pain side effects escalated to the point where walking became difficult. Now I am trying Aromasin. If I don't notice a lessening of the joint pain I have now, I would go back to Arimidex and see what happens - and then there is always the Tamoxifen to try too. By all means switch! I got several months of pain reduction when I switched, it was so worth it!

Donna

BonnieR
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
thanks Donna! I am off the Femara for 2 weeks to see if the painful "trigger thumb" I have developed (along with other various aches and pains) goes away. Then will switch to a different AI