PDA

View Full Version : Ixempra - good respoonse after only 3 weeks!

jml
03-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Friends~

Just wanted to share some good news - seems like it's in short supply these days, so hope this helps.

I just finished my 1st cycle of qweekly Ixempra/Herceptin - 3 weeks on, 1 week off.
It's been a tough regimen, but I can report, with my doctor's confirmation, that the combo is WORKING!

After progressing on multiple other combos over the years (109 rounds of infused chemo to date) , and then not responding to Tykerb/Xeloda and Tykerb/Herceptin in the recent 8 months, we switched to Ixempra/Herceptin.I was really apprehensive about Ixempra because I'd heard so little about it from folks here, not to mention, little about how effective the drug is. I know, it's always a crapshoot, but it's nice to hear about other's successes on different meds.

My disease has recurred in my liver - after 4 yrs NED in my liver - and in the nodes in my belly, causing complications for GI & bladder, and a 2cm soft tissue met that is very superficial & palpable near my belly button.
I'd say there's been ~50% improvement/decrease in all my symptoms and the palpable met is significantly smaller! "Oh yeah, that's definitely smaller" were the words of my doc :)

I started the 2nd cycle yesterday and will scan after this cycle. There's no reason to suspect we won't continue on this positive path, so I'm hoping and praying to see NED again very soon!

As for hairloss, the literature says 30% of people will experience 50% hairloss. So far for me, none, though I suspect I may experience some loss during this 2nd cycle. Or maybe I dodged the bullet - one can always hope!
This has been a tough combo for me - and I'm not accustomed to feeling this sick on treatment. But by the Grace of God and the resilience of the Human Body, the week OFF has been a blessing and I felt more like myself that I had in MONTHS. Wow is it a nice feeling to be OFF chemo!

Just wanted to share this little bit of sunshine. And a reminder that Ixempra works and that it's available in our arsenal to help us continue on this fight, until there's a CURE.

A positive response to treatment for any one of us is a VICTORY for all of us!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica

Ceesun
03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Jessica, This is good news we needed to hear for sure!! Thanks for the thorough update....sorry, you have to endure this again, but it sounds like a winning combo for you. Wishing you NED and continued positive results. Ceesun

dawn
03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Congrats! Keep us posted on how you are doing on this combo, Im on Xeloda now for liver mets but am always keep up to speed for my arsenal.

Dawn

StephN
03-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Dear Jessica -
Thanks so much for letting us know your good news. Always a real lift when you can feel/see the progress yourself and don't have to rely on scans so much.

You were a responder to the right drug in the past, and this one seems to be helping you a lot, even though it is harder on you physically - the cancer is taking it in the shorts!

Pam P
03-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Jessica, I've been thinking of you and wondering if ixempra side effects were getting any easier for you. I am glad to see your post and so happy you are seeing good results so quickly. I hope this can bring you to NED again soon. Hang in there on the side effects and fatique you are in my thoughts.

Midwest Alice
03-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Jessica,

Wonderful news. This drug is kicking!
Good news is like sun shine

Lori R
03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Jessica,
So glad you shared your good news with us!! As you said, not too many on the site have talked much about Ixempra so you are blazing some trails for us all.

Sorry to hear that it has been a tough regime but let's hope that this is the trick that knocks out that met once and for all.

Keep us posted girl!! Lori

lexigirl
03-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Such good good news!! I am sorry that you are having some yucky se's, but so HAPPY that it is kicking that miserable ca in the butt!! Prayers for continued good news!

Lexi

Shobha
03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your good news and sharing your positive spirit. Adding my prayers for you to attain the NED status very soon!

hugs,
shobha

schoolteacher
03-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Glad to hear your good news.

Amelia

Ellie F
03-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Yeah jessica
Thanks for sharing. We need some good news that we are going to slay this beast!!
Ellie

Karen Wheel
03-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Thank you for sharing - great to hear that you have a winning combination now. ;-)
Karen

undecided8
03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
That's wonderful news! I'm so sorry it's taking a toll on you but at least it's kicking some cancer butt in the process. I'm hoping myself to get some positive results on my bone tumors. Doing Taxotere/herceptin and the taxotere is kicking me down hard! I thought it would be more like the Taxol that I did last year which was a cakewalk compared to this. Thanks SO much for sharing your good news. Hang in there!

Suzanne E.

jml
03-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for sharing & celebrating with me.
Feeling like I'm climbing out of the Rabbit hole today, after slipping, sliding way down on Day2 & 3 after treatment.

Suzanne E- I tolerated Taxol really well too - on a couple of occassions. In fact, the option was to try Taxotere this time around, but my docs decided we should go with Ixempra instead. I was not prepared for how truly sick & weak it can make me feel. Shocking, isn't it? But hang in there, the good cells will win and we'll both rebound with a little time. I hope you're having some good results. Please keep us posted on how you do okay?

Keep the Faith~

Jml