PDA

View Full Version : Swelling in breast after lumpectomy

Nina
03-20-2010, 05:34 PM
How worried should I be now that my breast has started swelling about 10 days after surgery? I had a lumpectomy and all the axillary lump nodes removed. I have an appointment with the oncologist on Monday and the surgeon on Thursday and of course it started Friday evening and is not getting better 24 hours later. I still have one drain in that is producing about 35 cc per day. I tried icing it.

Becky
03-21-2010, 07:04 AM
I had lumpectomy too and had some swelling. Call your surgeon tomorrow morning just to be sure of what to do. Are you also getting swelling in the affected arm or armpit? I think this could be very normal but since it is bothering you, why wait - call tomorrow for advice.

Lien
03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I had the same experience. It turned out to be a seroma. A build-up of fluids. It's probably nothing to get upset about, but until that's confirmed by a doctor, preferably by several doctors, nurses and a couple of trusted friends, we get upset. That's what we do after a cancer diagnosis. We no longer trust our gut feeling.

After a while, we don't get worried as easily, but we are never entirely worry-free again. That's the new normal. And we get used to that too. Thank Heaven for Forums like these, where we find people who know exactly what we are going through.

Love

Jacqueline