PDA

View Full Version : My sis is finishing her radiation tomorrow....

ammebarb
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
and will continue with her Herceptin on a three week schedule. It has been a rigorous treatment plan, but we know that she can be grateful that she has done everything possible to battle. She didn't mind the radiation too much, although she did have some burning, that has gotten better since she started the "boost" part of the radiation regimen. You have all been so supportive and wonderful in replying to my questions....I have one more. Her oncologist doesn't routinely do any scans. She will have labs, which will include tumor markers, but no additional tests.....Is this a common practice? Of course, if there is any symptom or if her markers rise, I'm sure he'd be on it. Thank so very much for all your expertise and your kindness in this last year. I'm always wishing you well.

Barb A.

Becky
03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
My doctor does not do scans unless the markers go up or there are symptoms. He would do them if I insisted but I don't want the added radiation if I don't need it.

It is not unusual either way on the scans. Some doctors do and some don't.

I am glad your sister is recovering from rads. The boosts do alleviate the burning since the whole breast/area is not involved, just a smaller area.

Cheers for Herceptin alone which is a walk in the park!