PDA

View Full Version : Taxotere/Herceptin for Bone Mets?????

undecided8
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
I was recently diagnosed with bone mets. My original dx. was 2/08 IDC, Her 2+, ER/PR-. I'm wondering if anyone else that has bone mets has been on this regimen? Taxotere,herceptin/Zometa? I did Taxol/Herceptin the last time. Can someone tell me what side affects I can expect with Taxotere? I was thinking I would be put on something different, didn't even realize that Taxotere would be an option. Thanks or any advice.

Suzanne

Unregistered
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I have just finished chemo+ herceptin for Breast cancer that has mets to my lung and spine and lymph nodes. The breast lump is gone and I await scan to confirm mets have shrunk too. The breast lump was 6cms, now it's gone!

Pam P
03-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Suzanne-
I was on taxotere/herceptin/zometa for six months for bone mets. For me the taxotere wasn't easy. I had flu like symptoms, fatigue, and I had trouble with my finger and toenails. Be proactive about the nail issues. Hopefully your side effects will be few and this will be a good combo for you. Will you be doing a weekly or every 3 week dose? Mine was weekly with a week off every few weeks.

Rich66
03-12-2010, 01:04 AM
My sense is that many oncs go with lighter regimens for bone only mets. But your situation may require more. Seems to be more benefit in getting Zometa 24hrs after the chemo or endocrine agent. Doing both weekly, with 24 hr separation, could be very powerful. Link on Zoledronate acid/Zometa: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39563 A link on bone mets: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43192&highlight=Bone+mets

undecided8
03-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks to all for the responses. Pam, I noticed in your post you said to be proactive about my nails? I've read alot about the nails turning color and possibly loosing them? Is there something that I can do to prevent this? I wasn't sure what you meant about being proactive about my nails. Please explain, I'm new to the taxotere and still learning. Thank you!
Suzanne

Lori R
03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Suzanne,
I was on taxotere and had the "nail issues".

I don't recall the specifics as to exactly why, but the nails begin to lift a little off the nail bed and can get infected.

So, keep your nails short. This became difficult as my nails became tender and difficult to clip.

I've "heard" (so someone else chime in here), that the nurses have been encouraging patients to keep their hands in ice water to restrict the amount of chemo getting to the finger tips. I didn't do this as they were't recommending it a couple of years ago. I figure, why not?

Another item the nurses gave me which didn't seem to work for me was to soak your nails in a mild solution of bleach and water. I did get a finger nail infection after my LAST chemo and found that peroxide was more effective than the bleach. Just dab a little on a q-tip and swab it under the nail and around the sides. But....as with everything please check with your onc. I think it is ok to do this.

My nails were ugly as they appeared bruised. I painted them with nail polish and that made me feel mentally better.

Finally.....my nails returned, nothing wrong with them now. So....don't fret, even if they look strange it won't be forever, they will return.

Hang in there!!!! PLEASE.....post any questions, no matter how small. There is so much experience on this board.

Ellie F
03-14-2010, 04:01 AM
hI
I also had nail issues on taxotere. In fact the nail on my big toe separated and bleed, the other just lifted slightly but looked really bruised.I suggested to a couple of others to put tape round their big toe at night so it didn't catch on the bedsheets. I believe this worked for them.
Now 6 months later my nails are back to looking normal though they break and split easier.
I also got a red facial rash on taxotere so stayed out of the sun and it faded. i guess I should have realised this may happen as I was also very sensitive to sunlight.
Hope this helps
Ellie

VirginiaGirl
03-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Suzanne,
I have mostly bone mets and got about a year of NED from taxotere/herceptin. Then I did taxol/herceptin, and found that combo much easier, I suspect because it was done weekly as opposed to every 3 weeks with taxotere. I did have nail issues, mostly my nails would crack & split at the top. I had bigger issues with neuropathy and carpal tunnel, which took a while to resolve after finishing chemo. Again, I didn't experience that while on the taxol/herceptin. Good luck!

Pam P
03-14-2010, 05:36 AM
When I said be proactive about nail issues, I think Lori addressed that. One other thing, some people told me that using tea tree oil on the nails would help them. I did use it, but I'm not sure that it helped me. My nails lifted off the beds, became thick & discolored, and sometimes would get a little oozey infected. But the good news is they returned to healthy nails after I quit the taxotere.

undecided8
03-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Thanks to EVERYONE for your replies and wonderful advice. I'm so glad to have this discussion board along with a few others that I'm on. I'm so grateful that I have this board and others to go to and talk with others that really understand what I'm going through. I really like this one because it's the only one that I've found that has just her2+ folks on it. It always makes me grateful and wonder how the ladies before us and the internet managed? Thanks to you all!

Suzanne

dawn
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
When I had my original dx and did taxotere. I would keep my fingers in a pan of ice for the duration of the infusion. It sounds really hard but it was doable. I didn't have any issues with my nails at all.

Dawn

undecided8
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks Dawn,
So did they don't have any kinds of issues with doing that at the Oncologists office where you get your chemo? I will definitely try that, hopefully, if I could get one less side affect that would be nice. Did they just bring you a pan of ice to soak your nails in? Did you do your toe nails like that too? Thanks again for your advice.

Suzanne E.

felicia
03-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Hello!
I was on taxotere+carboplatin +herceptin+zometa, but I had no such side effects, just terrible fatigue , hair loss , weakness and pain in bones and joints. Everyone reacts differently to the same drugs.

Felicia

undecided8
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks Felicia for posting that. I noticed that you were on Herceptin/carboplatin/Zometa? I've wondering many times why I'm NOT on the Carboplatin myself? I will have to ask the onc. about this. Thanks again!

Suzanne E.