PDA

View Full Version : insomnia

Julie2
03-08-2010, 10:41 AM
I am not able to sleep during the night, sometimes I go with out sleep the whole night. Anybody has any solutions for this.

Thanks,
Julie

WolverineFan
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I used to be a very sound sleeper, but not anymore. I tried everything I could think of, with no luck. My onc prescribed a light sleeping pill (15 mg of Restorill) and that has done the trick for me. I still don't sleep like I used to, but it certainly is better, and the dosage is about half of the typical dose.

caya
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Same here Julie. I take Imovane - there are 2 doses - 5 mg. and 7.5 mg. I usually take one or the other. My docs don't mind that I have been on them more or less for about 5 years now ( I had other issues before B.C.).
You need your rest. Don't be afraid to ask your onc. or G.P. for meds.

all the best
caya

Yorkiegirl
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I as well have found that I don't sleep well since my DX in 2005.
I only get about 3 hours of sleep a night. I don't want to have to take sleeping pills for thsi as I don't want to get addicted.
I guess I have just become so used to it. The only time I get a good sleep is if I'm sick and not feeling good.

Margerie
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I also have terrible insomnia, started during chemo. I take melatonin + either Benadryl or Unisom (another OTC anti-histamine that causes drowsiness) and that works really well for me. It is the truth when I say that if I did not take this combo, I would not sleep a wink, ever! Trust me, I have tried.

I had no luck with any of the sleeping pills, and did not want to take them long term anyway. I am going 4 years strong with this insomnia, so I don't think it is going away anytime soon :O

Tell your doctor and find out your options. I found a naturopath doc and he was the one who helped me find the right supplements to help me sleep.

Sheila
03-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Julie
I have had problems during this journey also....my onc. ordered Ambien, but I have never taken it....don't want to take the chance of "getting hooked" on it....funny I should be frightened by a sleeping pill, but let them pump chemo agents in my veins without a blink!
I have found that AdvilPM (contains more Benedryl) works the best...i take 2 tabs about 1 hour before bedtime....no groggies the next day either!
Hope this helps

jhandley
03-10-2010, 09:13 PM
You might have adrenal fatigue. Insomnia is one of the symptoms and bc is very stressful so adrenals can just get exhausted. You can get saliva tests for cortisol or see a good naturopath like I did. It helps.
Cheers
jackie (down under)

vlcarr
03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
I've had the same problem since diagnosis and seemed to get worse during chemo. I'm taken Ambien and Lunesta. I don't have right now but think I'm going to have to ask for refills......

BMW2
04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi: Can anyone tell me how much Melatonin to use? I use Melatonin (usually 6mg), sometimes Simply Sleep and sometimes Restoril 7.5mg. I would like to stick to Melatonin because I have heard it helps with breast cancer, but because it is a hormone I'm concerned.

Rich66
04-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Cancer treatment has been shown to mess with sleep even after it's completed.
A number of studies have used 20mg of Melatonin. Some suggest ramping up to that dosage. It might not be wise to combine that with sleep meds.
There's a fair amount to suggest "sleep hygiene" routines can help: Excercise earlier in day/get sunlight, lower the overall lighting in hours before going to bed in absolute darkness etc. I find lavender drops on the top blanket help me relax.

BMW2
04-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks Rich66. I do all the sleep hygiene stuff and more. I think I'll try uping the Melatonin on a gradual basis to see if it helps.

juanita
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
i used the melatonin after my insurance compnay decided i didn't need what the doctor perscribed anymore. and i couldn't take the tylenol pm because benadryl makes my restless legs worse. make sure you check with your doctor on any of it.

BMW2
04-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Juanita:

Thanks I always check with the oncologist, but he always says"sure you can take that." But never says how much. I've checked a naturalpathic doctor and she recommended 20 milligrams. I know that's is what I've seen recommended for breast cancer patients.
How many milligrams do you take and does it help?

Jackie07
04-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Found the following links and thought might be helpful. There are two types of melatonin - one derived from animal and the other synthetically made.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/articles/258.printerview.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-melatonin.html

I've had sleeping problem all my life due to the brain tumor(s). Once I had the tumor removed, I slept well and my skin improved. Now that two of the three residue tumors are enlarged in their sizes, I guess my very sensitive, twice injured brain just can't handle it. Sleep aids wouldn't work for me since my problem is more 'physical' than 'chemical'.

Found this other link regarding DSPS - perhaps this is what I have. Alright! I am going to pursue a career in medical transcription...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

mrsd
04-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Julie I too have had diffficulty with sleep... and knowing that we really need our rest only seems to make it worse. I started taken 2mg of Ativan at night... not sure how much it helps but I do sleep and feel rested when I wake.

juanita
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
i started with a higher dose of the melatonin, think maybe 15 mg but now only take 3-6 mg. hopefully i can sleep eventually.

harrie
04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I like to take children's liquid benedryl. 1/2 a tsp usually does it and at the most, I would take 1 tsp.
That is the ingredient in more OTC sleep aids.

Midwest Alice
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I have had sleeping problems so my onc put me on ambienxr. I sleep so well and am rested. I work full time and have a normal life with join pains. I have been on it for two years with no plans to get off. I need my rest :)

BMW2
04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi: The children's liquid benedryl sounds like it might be something to try. I have 0.5mg ativan, but I don't like to use something that I may get hooked on. Also, I'm so unsure about the higher doses of Melatonin.

Thanks ladies.

Bill
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I happen to know an older gentleman that had some trouble sleeping as he aged. He had no personal history or diagnosis of cancer. He went to a good doctor who recommended cutting back on his caffeine and sugar intake, modifying his diet to include more fruits and veggies, and less meat, and eat earlier in the evening. Also, the doctor recommended daily yoga exercises. Over a period of a few weeks/months he made those lifestyle changes and now he sleeps like a baby. I'd like to recommend the book "You, Staying Young", by Drs. Roizen and Oz. There is a wealth of information in this book, including sleep-related issues. Me, I just eat lightly at night and take half an Ambien.

SoCalGal
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I've been told that our bodies should produce 20 mg of melatonin a night so you can easily and safely take the same - most of them come in 3mg pills. There were several studies and articles about melatonin and turning cancer off. Side effects of melatonin can be vivid dreams, which dissipate after a week or so. I could not get along with melatonin, or any drug that changes my brain chemistry. FOR MOST it is very well tolerated.

I think it's funny that everyone worries about becoming dependent or addicted to sleeping pills. So what if for the next 10 years you need a pill to sleep or do anything? I decided several years ago that in addition to be following a healthy diet and lifestyle, I would never again try to tough out anxiety or sleeplessness. Ativan for me, all the way. I've used a 1 mg at bedtime for over 10 years. They still work just fine.

Also I want to say that I don't have a single (woman) friend who can sleep without issues, breast cancer or not. I think it is a sign of our age, a sign of what we've all been through with treatments, and surgeries and also a sign of the very stressful times we live in. Many of us do not get enough exercise or fresh air each day to really bring on the good kind of sleep. Like when you are on vacation and on the move, walking or swimming or busy all day in a very good way and can sleep just fine. You will need a good vacation after reading this whole post.
OK, I'm done now:)