PDA

View Full Version : Sesame Oil

ElaineM
03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi Tanya,
Which kind of omega fatty acid does sesame oil have?
It is used in cooking in Hawaii and Asian countries.
Just wondering !!

StephN
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I wonder too, because we use it, and I put it on our sauted zucchine squash tonight.

TanyaRD
03-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Good question, Elaine. I actually had to look it up to be sure but sesame oil is highest in Omega 6's. It is a polyunsaturated fat which we know can be helpful at lowering total cholesterol but may also lower the good cholesterol, or HDL. That being said, however, don't think you need to exclude sesame seed oil from your diet. It has a high content of vitamin E and is a rich source of antioxidants. In some studies it has been shown helpful at lowering blood pressure. I personally love the flavor of sesame seed oil with vegetables, fish and salads. A little bit goes a long way so as long as you limit the portion I believe it can be part of a healthy diet.

ElaineM
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks Tanya !!
I am glad that you, Steph and I can have a little sesame oil once in awhile. I think I will try your recipe Steph.
I alternate between olive oil and sesame oil in vegetable stir fries. One time I might use the sesame and another time I might use the olive oil. I use olive oil for everything else. I am happy that sesame oil might help control blood pressure. The doctor never seems to prescribe the right meds for that, so I have to do alot to help myself in that area.