PDA

View Full Version : how many of you are getting Zometa?

Jean
02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
If you could share how often you have treatment.
Do you have treatment 2 X per year or 1 X per year.
If you have treatment twice per year does your insurance pay for it?

thanks
Jean

Henny
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Jean,
I've been getting Zometa for 1 1/2 years. Every 6 months-3 more to go. And yes my insurance has been paying for it. They wouldn't tell me if it would be covered but when it came time to pay they did.
The only se I have has is a bit of pain the day after the infusion and my hair gets thin for a couple months.

Good luck!

Henny

Unregistered
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi Jean,

I am going to start in April and I will receive Zometa 1x every six months for seven treatments. Insurance approved it for one year and then they said it will probably be approved again next year for one year and so on and so forth until the seven treatments are completed.

Karen W.

Yorkiegirl
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I wanted to take it, but my Insurance denied it. So I have been taking Actonel and it's not helping one bit with my severe osteo.

lkc Gumby
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I've been getting Zometa evry 6 mos, for the past 3 yrs and am a huge advocate.

linda b
02-24-2010, 06:41 PM
I get Zometa every 6 weeks for the past 2 years- haven't had any problems with it at all.

Gerri
02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Jean,

I have had four Zometa treatments (2 x yr)and will have a total of six. I asked for a bone density test when I started on Femara and was dx'd with osteopenia of the lumbar spine. My insurance (PPO) has covered the treatments. I have no idea if my osteopenia has improved since I have not had a follow-up bone density test....I think I will request one before my next infusion in August.

Chelee
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Since my recurrence/bone mets I have been getting Zometa. The first two times I got Zometa every 8 wks...then the next time was at 10 wks. (Not sure why?) Prior to the bone mets I was given many excuses as to why I could not have Zometa. Not sure if it was really an insurance issue...or just my onc?

Chelee

hutchibk
02-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I started 2 years ago, once a month for 6 months, and since then have gotten it once every 3 months. I will get it again next week when I get Herceptin.

SoCalGal
02-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I get it every 6 weeks and have since March 08. Insurance pays.

Pam P
02-25-2010, 05:03 AM
I get zometa every 4 weeks and insurance pays.

Jean
02-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Thank you all for your kind response.
I had thought that at the very least a twice yrly treatment is the norm. I realize that each of us are on diffent trt schedules as per our stage, etc.

I have a small amount of osteopenia and the orders are 1 X per year. But from what I have been hearing the min. seems to be twice per year.

Again thank you for sharing, I appreciate your help.
Kind regards,
Jean

schoolteacher
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Jean,

I get Zometa every 3 or 4 months. I have noticed that my kidneys kind of take a dive when I take it. I have not had any bone mets since 4-16-08.

Amelia

Chelee
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Jean, When I first requested Zometa (HMO) at the time...my onc was going to give it to be twice a year. There sure seems to be an awful lot of women that I have seen on the "boards" that have gotten Zometa twice a yr. If this is something you want I would push for it. (Be very pro-active!)

Amelia I've noticed the same problem with Zometa concerning my kidneys. My creatinine levels really bottom out! In fact I noticed my onc didn't allow me to have contrast for my last CT...she has never done that before. I really believe it's because of my low kidney function. I sure hope they recover? (It's always something.)

Chelee

VirginiaGirl
02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Jean,
Since mets to my bones I've gotten Zometa, usually once a month for the duration of whatever chemo I was doing at the time, and I do think it has been helpful in controlling the cancer. I did take a break from it last year, and my onc wanted me too also when news came out a while back about a side effect where it can create holes in your jaw bones - freaky! But I'm due to start it again, onc is okay with me getting it as long as I have breaks. There is a new drug similar to zometa that may be out soon, I don't know if it will have similar side effects or not.
Peace

sassy
02-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Jean,

I haven't had bone mets, but my insurance agreed to 1x per yr for osteopenia. Recently we requested 2x per year based on the latest studies. Somehow this request went to the prescription side of my insurance who denied Zometa altogether, not knowing I was already getting it 1x. Now I've got to see if I can get the right hand working with the left hand. I haven't talked with the medical side to see where they stand at this point.

Jean
02-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Sassy,
Like you I have osteopenia - had been on Actonel.
Dr. and I discussed zometa and he advised Reclasp
which I had one treatment. I had noticed lately that
many are having 2 treatments per year have not read the latest studies regarding 2x per year.

My insurance has been wonderful and I have not made request for 2nd treatment yet...dr. feels the one year should be fine.

Sassy do you have any information on this I could read and bring into my dr. I will do some searching also.
I had the feeling that the dr. wanted 2x per year but then said one would be fine because of insurance.

Thank you for sharing...
Jean :)