PDA

View Full Version : Tanya - reducing cortisol?

StephN
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
The thread discussing the weight gains and endocrine connection to our cancer got me thinking about this one.

After finishing a harsh round of chemo for my liver mets, I had puffed out a little around my middle - causing me a jump in pants size from 6 to a rather snug 8. That is not much to some people, but to me it meant about 9 pounds.

Somewhere I read about Cortisol being a main culprit for the middle age spare tire symdrome, so I tried to work on that.

Do you have studies or info that could help in this respect?

mrsflash36
02-07-2010, 05:25 PM
How do we reduce cortisol? It is a fight or flight hormone and we are in for the fight. Do you know how we can reduce it by food , exercise or lifestyle change?

mrsflash36

TanyaRD
02-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Steph, I am sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond. I wanted to make sure I had the most up-to-date info for you as this is not an area of expertise for me. I know that adequate sleep plays a large role in cortisol levels and I think it is logical to link the idea of a well balance, anti-inflammatory diet to reduction of cortisol levels. However, I have received input from two fellow RDs who have provided the following references.

Reynolds RM. Corticosteroid-mediated programming and the pathogenesis
of obesity and diabetes. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Jan 28.
[Epublished before print].

Müssig K, Remer T, Maser-Gluth C. Brief review: Glucocorticoid
excretion in obesity. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Jan 25.
[Epublished before print]

Staab CA, Maser E. 11-beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 is an
important regulator at the interface of obesity and inflammation. J
Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010 Jan 5. [Epublished before print].

Leproult R, Van Cauter E. Role of Sleep and Sleep Loss in Hormonal
Release and Metabolism. Endocr Dev. 2010;17:11-21.

Appelhans BM, Pagoto SL, Peters EN, Spring BJ. HPA axis response to
stress predicts short-term snack intake in obese women. Appetite.
2010;54(1):217-20.

Gangwisch JE. Epidemiological evidence for the links between sleep,
circadian rhythms and metabolism. Obes Rev. 2009;10 Suppl 2:37-45.

Bengtsson I, Lissner L, Ljung T, Rosengren A, Thelle D, Währborg P.
The cortisol awakening response and the metabolic syndrome in a
population-based sample of middle-aged men and women. Metabolism. 2009
Dec 30. [Epublished before print].

Another RD recommended the following book. I have not read it but did look at the website and from what I can see appears to have reasonable information in regards to nutrition.

The Schwartzbein Principle by Diana Schwartzbein

jhandley
02-16-2010, 04:26 AM
Hi Steph
I think you might find looking up adrenal fatigue interesting reading. I have dx with this and have had it on and off for many years . I am concentrating on fixing this while I am off herceptin. One of my big problems is not being able to sleep after any sort of exercise, I am literally awake all night. My naturopath has put me on a adrenal tonic which is helping.

Food for thought.

Jackie(down under)