PDA

View Full Version : Hibiscus tea for hypertension

Hopeful
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I was tipped off to this by a coworker, who knows I am trying to avoid going on bp meds: http://www.beveragedaily.com/Publications/Food-Beverage-Nutrition/NutraIngredients.com/Research/Hibiscus-tea-may-reduce-blood-pressure-in-at-risk-people

Thought I would give it a try. Tanya, have you heard anything about this?

Hopeful

TanyaRD
02-04-2010, 06:54 AM
This is the first I have heard of this. Hibiscus is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) so I don't see any reason not to try it. In addition I would advise you to be very cautious with your sodium intake consuming no more than 2000mg per day. Also, weight management and exercise are of great benefit. Even a weight loss of 10% can reduce blood pressure significantly. Lastly, if you are not on omega-3 fats or have a good source in the diet it might be a good addition. Of course, use caution if you are on any blood thinners. Keep me posted. I am working with a woman in a similar situation right now. I'll have to show her this study. Thanks for sharing.

Hopeful
02-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Tanya,

I have been very sodium conscious all my life; my mother (and very probably her father) had HBP. I am finding the more difficult thing to eliminate is the insidious sodium we get from processed foods. I am working on ridding them from my diet as best I can (for example, I make all of my own soup stocks from scratch to avoid all sodium in them); I actually have a plan I am going to kick off in a few months to try living process food free to see if it makes a difference.

I am 56 years old, not on any blood thinners. I am 5'3" tall and weigh 125 lbs. I exercise on my treadmill 4 to 5 times a week. I am hopeful that the food regimen I am gearing up for will help me drop 10 pounds.

I appreciate your input, and will keep you posted on developments. I hope to find a place that sells hibiscus tea this weekend.

Hopeful

TanyaRD
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Hopeful,
It sounds like you are on the right track. Best wishes to you!

StephN
02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi -
The popularity of tea shops makes it easy for me to find Rose Hips and Hibiscus teas. The higher end groceries also have them around here.

You may find some better quality loose tea on line.
My hubby bought me some top quality loose tea blend at a specialty place (in a swanky MALL!). $25.00 a pound! Needless to say I was rather floored, even though he did get only 1/2 a pound ... it really is delicious.

P.S. I drink the tea because I like it and for vitamins. My blood pressure is always lower than average.