PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, Pam

v-ness
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
the woman i may perhaps owe some of my life to died last night, ironically the very same day as my last chemo. pam was my sister's friend and i only met her once, but her diagnosis with triple negative breast cancer greatly affected me. she was only 47 and when she discovered it, it was in both breasts and in her lymph nodes. in september it had spread to her brain and resisted whole brain radiation. in december it entered her lungs. she was a fighter until the end, refusing in Hospice care to sign a DNR and saying she was going to get up out of bed and walk to the bathroom herself so they'd let her go home. she was, however, unable to move at all by then.

when my sister told me about pam i started doing breast self-exams, which i'd only done at best haphazardly in the past. always relied on the good ole mammogram. i began to check myself monthly. then another friend of my sister's was diagnosed with breast cancer, hers golf ball sized. although i had a clean mammogram in march of 2009 i began feeling myself up nightly, especially as my sister reported pam's failure to recover well from her mastectomy.

then in august 2009 i found a lump above my left breast and it was this cancer. i don't know if my sister ever told pam that she had inspired me so much that i really think she saved my life. i hope she did. i will tell her husband and her parents. it may bring them some small bit of comfort as they say goodbye to pam next week.

i told my sister jen this fall, when pam had brain mets, that perhaps she'd like "Love, Medicine & Miracles". jen bought it for her and she loved it. she said that every day she visualized herself planting her garden in the spring and believed that her brain mets could miraculously be beaten back into submission. but there were too many and her triple negative cancer too ferocious.

i am not sure it's completely hit me yet. i felt i had to be strong for my sister on the phone this morning when she told me the news. i may never have found that tumor at stage 1 if not for pam. now i tell every woman i know fairly well to CHECK YOURSELF and what the signs of IBC are too. we too can pay it forward and perhaps save a life. even if pam & i exchanged only a few words, her impact on my life was tremendous. it is hard to believe she left this world on the day i completed my first round of treatment. may she rest in peace and be whole and happy once again.

valerie

Jackie07
01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Valerie,

What a beautiful tribute! And what a sad story about Pam! Thank you for sharing with us your grateful heart. Perhaps we need to compile all the stories of women who have found their own breast tumor after a clean mammogram.

"Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean there's nobody out to get you," a saying my husband taught me several years ago. I remember reading in one of the signatures on the Board that a member is 'in cautious remission'. We will live our lives to the fullest, yet we will also try our best to guard against and to conquer this disease.

Ruth
01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Valerie ~
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Pam. This disease takes too many...way too many.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Jean
01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Valerie,
Thank God you did not shrug off your own self testing.
Many young women think they are to young get breast cancer and just ignore it thinking it is a cyst and will just go away....so they wait and sometimes for months.

Many times we hear that a women had a recent mammorgram only to find a tumor a few months later.
This happen to me. I am so glad you did not ignore it and put it off to have it checked later.

Breast Cancer does not discriminate on age. I also believe certain people are meant to cross our paths.

I am sorry to hear we have lost yet another sister to this disease. May Pam be at peace.

Kindest Regards,
Jean

lizm100
01-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Valerie-
I'm so sorry for your loss. This disease takes too many lives, both young and old.

Your story is a little similiar to mine.
Long story short.....in Oct. 07, I went to see my doctor and told her that an area of my breast didn't feel right (I had a baby a baby 5 months earlier so my breast were lumpy and still are). My doctor did an exam and told me that I'm fine and not to worry since I'm young and have no family history of BC. Shortly after that visit I read an article in our town paper about my daughter's religion teacher being diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after her sister was and all the sudden I got this feeling inside my gut that something was not right with area of concern in my breast (I did not have a lump but an area felt a little thicker and it bothered me). I went back to my doctor on January 16th of 08' and this time my doctor took my feelings seriously and that was the day the radiologist told me that he was confident that I had breast cancer. If I would not have read the article in my town's paper about Natalie (my daughter's religion teacher) I probably wouldn't have gone to my doctor again and pushed for a mammogram.

It sounds like Pam is the angel that saved your life just like Natalie is mine.

God bless and may you find comfort that she is at peace and not suffering from this nasty disease any longer.