PDA

View Full Version : how soon do you get your bone scan results?

joyluck
01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
My mother just got a bone scan this afternoon for pelvic bone pain. Just wonder how soon do you usually hear back from the radiologist/onc? I am sure you understand the anxiety. :)

Mary Jo
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I, too, had a bone scan for pelvic/thigh pain. The radiologist told me that the results would be ready by the next day. By the next day, when I hadn't heard anything by noon time I e-mailed my oncologist and said ... "please find out ... I NEED to know...." Within 15 minutes of that e-mail he called me to say "other than arthritis in knees....you are fine."

Yes, we all do understand the anxiety associated with tests to find out if we have a cancer recurrence....so I pray you hear soon so you can rest.

Love and peace I pray for you...

Mary Jo

Chelee
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I just had a bone scan not long ago and wanted the results of it asap since I've already been dx with bone mets prior to this. I called my onc's office the next day to see if they had them...and they did.

If your Mothers onc does not get back to you in a day or two...I would just call them and ask for the results. They really should have them. There is nothing much harder then sitting and waiting for results...so it never hurts to give the office a little reminder that your waiting. :)

Chelee

newgg
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi There,
Just had one done today....just told the folks that I would like a copy...signed a release and will return to the rads lab for a report after 8 am tomorrow. Have done this with CAT, MRI, X rays, etc. Just let them know when you register that you want a copy.
Hugs, Bonnie

joyluck
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks all for the reply. Really appreciate that. Unfortunately, the oncologist emailed back today saying he will be out of town till Monday and wont have the result till then. Do you think the radiologist should have the result and should release to us?

Chelee
01-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Joyluck, I know for me personally I always have problems getting results to tests/scans if my onc isn't in. (However I know of other women here that can get their results regardless.) So it's not a set rule...that's for sure.

I know I couldn't get a radiologist to release information to me under any circumstances & believe me I've tried everything. They always tell me they are sorry but just not allowed too. But if you have a good relationship with your Mother's onc nurse...maybe you could go through another onc in the office and get a ok for you to get the results sooner? It's worked for me...might me worth a try. All the radiologist I know tell me they will get in trouble if they say anything. But I would call and see what they say...worse that can happen is they say no. Wishing you luck.

Chelee

Jackie07
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Joyluck,

My experience is that if they are not in a hurry to provide you the result, the news is usually good. I would just relax for the weekend and wait till Monday.

joyluck
01-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks. That's what I am telling my mom too. :)

lizm100
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Joy-
I was able to find out within hours since my doctors were able to look up the results on the computer b/c my bone scan was done at the same hospital they have their office in but usually the hard copy of the report takes a day or two. As the old saying "no news is good news" and I truly hope it proves true for your mom.
Sending (((hugs))) your way.

Liz

P.S.You can always call the doctor's office to check how long it takes to get the scan read. You never know...they may have the results right then and there when you call....

Patb
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I went to the hospital the next day and got my records.
Just signed my name and showed ID. When the Dr.
called that night, I acted surprised and said Thank you.
I cannot wait, too much anxiety. I hope everything is
fine.
patb

joyluck
01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
My mom's bone scan came back all NEGATIVE! Just got the call from the onc. Thank you all so much for the replies!

lizm100
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Great news!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing ;)