PDA

View Full Version : Oophrectomy

Faith in Him
12-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Is there any advantage to having one if you are ER/PR negative?

I started thinking about this after a lady in my local support group got ovarian cancer. She orginally had very early bc but a few years later developed ovarian cancer that was caught late (stage iv).

Thanks,
Tonya

Mary Jo
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I remember asking the same question to my oncologist Tonya.......(I am er/pr negative) - this was his answer......"you can't just start removing parts to hopefully not get cancer." The more I thought about that I think that is true. Not sure if you will see the reason in that statement also but thought I should share it with you.

Love...Mary Jo

Jackie07
12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Tonya,

There are more discussions on the topic if you use the 'Search' button on the top bar and type in 'oophorectomy'.

I've done some research lately on the subject and have got a surgery (hysterectomy/oophorectomy) scheduled (was delayed from early Dec. because of a manufacturer's recall for a crucial piece of equipment used in the procedure.)

While waiting, I called my oncologist to get his opinion because my family doctor thought I might not need the surgery. It had turned out that my BC was very weakly ER + in 2003 and then was ER - in 2007. I took almost 5 years worth of Tamoxifen thinking that I was still ER+ during the recurrence.

But the oncologist told me to go ahead with the procedure. Even though he knew that my BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 test had come out inconclusive. I do have a cancer history both personally and in the family. Mother has had Non-Hogekins Lymphoma treatment 11 years ago. But it wasn't until I had been told about my 2nd Brother's recent colon cancer surgery/treatment that I decided to get rid of the parts that I can spare.

It is a very personal decision and I had consulted with the genetic counselor in the hospital as well as a doctor specialized in gynecology/oncology before making the final decision. Your first step might be a genetic testing and then see a genetic counselor.

Mary Anne in TX
12-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi Tonya! Wow, are those kids growing up!
I don't know the answer, but I do remember reading a long list of responses when someone brought this up a while back.
Hope you are doing well now and have had a great Christmas and will celebrate the New Year with lots of fun!
ma

Becky
12-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Tonya

There are results in trials for BRCA 1+ women who need to get propholactic oopherectomy and propholactic masectomies. The women who participated in this trial did so because they were reluctant to lose their breasts but wanted the ooph (as ovarian cancer is harder to survive anyway). Women with the BRCA 1 mutation get triple negative cancer probably 95% of the time.

This study showed that an ooph reduces the chance of bc in this population by 80% (and reduces the chance of bc in a general (non BRCA) population by 68%.

The BRCA 1+ women who then took Femara as well benefited even more.

So, I am not 100% sure about recurrence but I think it might help regardless of hormone status but one thing an ooph does do is reduce the chance of a new breast cancer.