PDA

View Full Version : Results from five new studies on Genomic Health's Oncotype DX breast cancer test anno

News
12-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Genomic Health, Inc. today announced results from five new studies on its Oncotype DX® breast cancer test, a multi-gene expression test that physicians currently use to predict the likelihood of chemotherapy benefit and recurrence risk for patients with early-stage breast cancer.

More... (http://www.news-medical.net/news/20091216/Results-from-five-new-studies-on-Genomic-Healths-Oncotype-DX-breast-cancer-test-announced.aspx)

Rich66
12-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Nice. I remember bringing this up to oncs at Mayo in '05. Thought I was crazy.

Joe
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Rich,
I understand that this test is very expensive. Many insurance companies don't cover.

Regards
Joe

Rich66
12-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah..well...would have gladly paid out of pocket to avoid recurrence. Joe, you would be amazed to see (in the session notes) how they thought I was paranoid over the her2 issue. I even brought up the her2 site and they said it was just a bunch of unrepresentative extreme cases.

Hopeful
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Rich,

A lot of docs that use it will not use it for Her2+ patients, because all of the results come back as high risk. I'm not sure it would have provided you any additional information to the pathology.

Hopeful

Rich66
12-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Her pathology was and has been borderline. At the time, they judged things strictly by size of tumor. You could see the change coming. And perhaps this tool was a harbinger.