PDA

View Full Version : Sore Ribs

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 07:55 AM
I have myself convinced that I've got mets to my ribs. I've had
a cold/flu for weeks and did some serious coughing but I'm pretty
much over that now. For the last week I've had this very ugly pain
in my side, up high, close to my incision ... on the cancer side of course. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to see a GP here in town.

Anybody know what mets to ribs feel like?

Sheila
11-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Pink Girl
As you know, Donna and i both had fractured ribs from an unknown origin...i think mine might have been a sneeze...anyway, only way to confirm is get a RIB xray, a regular chest xray wont always show it....the pain lasted forever, matter of fact, i think Donna D still has pain. You are in my thoughts and prayers...I am thinking positive it is nothing serious
Big Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks SheilaGirl. I remember DonnaD having this problem but
I assumed it was from radiation. I didn't have radiation because
of having a mastectomy. I'm sure they will start out with some
ordinary x-rays for now.

suzan w
11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I, too, once broke ribs during a severe coughing fit. Don't know if it had anything to do with osteoporosis as it happened before that diagnosis. Hoping that your rib pain is simply that, rib pain!!! xo Suzan

Gerri
11-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Pink,

I hate these aches and pains that put our minds into overdrive! Sure hope the rib pain turns out to be nothing. Be sure and keep us updated.

Welcome back. I missed you.

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Gerri and Suzan ... I'm hoping I have a broken rib :)

Shobha
11-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I too had rib pain last year and wanted it checked out. It turned out to be just rib pain and nothing more. Praying for the same for you. I think that after a cold and especially flu, many aches and pains continue on for a while.

hugs,
shobha

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks Shobha ... I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Ruth
11-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Pinky ~ We missed you! I have had problems on my side, shoulder and arm since my mastectomy. Several years ago before I had reconstruction something was really, really hurting around and on my incision line. What it came out to be was I had developed some scar tissue and the scar tissue banded together (Becky once had the correct terminology...fibrosic tissue maybe?). One of the bands snapped and I thought that I had something going on with my ribs. I hope that maybe this is something similar to what pain you are feeling. After the expansion and reconstruction my PS tried to get out as much scar tissue as he could. I still do have sharp pains there but not at the level it was. Colder weather seems to make it worse.
Please let us know what you find out.
Hugs ~ Ruth

WomanofSteel
11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey Pink, I have had rib pain several times from coughing. It lasted a while before it finally let up. I had an xray done, but no broken rib. I think it was more muscular. Hope things turn out well for you.

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Ruth and WOS ... if this was anywhere else on my
body I wouldn't be so worried ... but it's close to the incision
on the cancer side so I have to get it checked out ... I hate
this worrying part of the adventure.

Mary Anne in TX
11-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Tell them to find out rippy, zippy FAST cause you've got 100s of buddies waiting to know! Believin' and prayin' for ya! ma

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks MA!!! I'll let you know as soon I know.

StephN
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Dear Pinky -
Nice to hear from you, but not for this worry! Hope this means that your life has been good in the meantime.

I had "exquisite" rib pain a few years back, closer to my chemo. That term was how my med onc called it so that my insurance would pay for a bone scan. I had already been stage IV so skipped preliminary x-ray, etc. and went right to the nearest bone scan.

I had it for 10 days or so prior, and nothing could be seen to explain it. It was felt to be a pull to my connective tissue that trapped a nerve.

Sending you "all is well" wishes.

tricia keegan
11-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Pink, I've been convinced for weeks I had bone mets and my onc must have thought so as she arranged bone scan, mri and pet scan.
I just got the all clear today but know how worrying these scares/pains can be. I think this may well be from coughing so much, you could have bruised ribs from that.
Sending hugs for good news asap for you:)

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks StephN and Tricia ... coughing sure aggrevates it ...
I have to "prepare" for a cough by giving myself a big hug ...
sure hope that's all this is.

ammebarb
11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Sending along my best wishes for some very benign cause for your rib pain. I'm glad you don't have to wait forever to have it checked out.

Barb A.

mmoons
11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Pink-

I'm with Gerri....the unknowns are such a horrible part of this disease. We have to be so vigilant. I am glad you are getting checked out and look forward to seeing good news from you!

I too had broken ribs. My rib cage was sore and I was sure that it was the cancer back again.

I am sending positive thoughts your way that it turns out to be nothing too bad. (How funny we must all sound hoping you have broken ribs!)

Maureen

Yorkiegirl
11-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Pink Girl glad to see you post but not the reason your asking.

I got the dreaded Flu in October and was coughing so bad I just knew I broke a rib. X-rays were taken nope not broken.

I have always had rib pain on my cancer side, it comes and goes.
I have PET/CT scans and all is well.

But like you it hards not to think of what if.

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Vicki, Maureen and Barb ... I wish I'd had radiation and could
blame this pain on that ... but I didn't have any rads. I actually feel
a bit better today just knowing that I'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow ...
but then I'll still have to wait a bit for the x-ray results ... thanks for
your input ... it really helps a lot.

StephN
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Dear Pink -

If you are still coughing, you might try to have a small pillow handy all the time. Press that to your chest and hug it during the cough.

This is the method they give heart surgery patients to keep them from stressing the incision when coughing.

Ask about trying alternating heat and cold if it turns out to as a kind of strain. You may need to take some sort of anti-inflammatory as well.

schoolteacher
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Pinkgirl,

Let us know as soon as you find out what is going on.

Amelia

Lien
11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
My doc told me that ribpain is very common after breast surgery. Usually it's the thin layer that covers the bone that causes it. I had it twice.

Hope the cause of your pain is totally b9!

Love

Jacqueline

Ceesun
11-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Pinkster, Just saw this and you know I am always with you in spirit. Praying for a positive outcome. So far, have not had this type of problem or mets to bone, so I am clueless...but as always, it could be many things. My neighbor, who had bc 26 years ago and has been fine since tells me she still worries about every ache and pain as do I...not too diminish your concern. Hang in...xo Ceese

caya
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey Pink, my fellow Canuck!!

Glad you're back, but not for this reason. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your pain is a big fat NOTHING!!

Let us know.

all the best
caya

Laurel
11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Hoping and really believing this is from all the coughing. Please let us know what your tests show.

Mary Jo
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Pink......I join in the praying the rib pain is nothing but rib pain. Geez, I'm amazed at all the broken ribs around this place. Trusting you are only joining that club. That's plenty!

Hey Pinkgirl....nice seeing you here. I don't visit as much either anymore.......still try to encourage and be of support to those I can but it seems different around here somehow. Oh well...I'm sure it's me and my life taking on a new direction.

GENTLY hugging you sweet lady.

Mary Jo

Jackie07
11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
"When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebra."

Pinkgirl, I hope you have good result tomorrow. Sleep tight!

chrisy
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey pinkgirl! Nice to see you with your flower avatar...and you got it right, "hope for a cracked rib" Ha - only we would hope for something like that. If you can't have a cracked rib, go for a pulled muscle.

Seriously, good for you for getting it checked out - it will put your mind at ease. Lots of reasons for this that have NOTHING to do with cancer.

Take care
Chris

Paty
11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Pink,

Sending you thoughts and hoping this will be nothing serious. A big hug, without bothering the ribs...

Paty

Catherine
11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Pinkie,

Long time no hear.....about those ribs. Sorry to hear about the pain and anxiety you have been experiencing. I missed that you had a propho mast this summer. You have been a busy pinkster. Hopefully all will go smoothly tomorrow at the doctor and you will get some answers and they will be good.

It has been over 3 years since my surgery and I am just now able to sleep on my right side. Surgery may be simple but the residuals are what keep us wondering.

All the best for a good outcome,
Catherine

PinkGirl
11-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes Catherine, it was a busy summer for me. I had the surgery around
the 22 of June, I think. I was just in the hospital overnight ... it was
much easier than the modified radical in 2005. It took me 4 years to do
it but I'm sure glad I did. I'm flat as a pool table and very comfortable
this way. I have a set of fake girls that I save for special occasions :)

hutchibk
11-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Incision/scar area = potential scar tissue... could be connective rib tissue and scar tissue that are really irritated from being tugged by the excessive coughing. Just a thought. Best wishes.

DianeH
11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I have had recurrent episodes of rib pain over the years and thankfully they turned out to be nothin', and I'm hoping the same for you. Sure did scare me in the beginning but am used to it now.
Wishing you the best of luck with your tests,
Hugs,
Diane