PDA

View Full Version : Kathleen Sebelius made an Important Statement

margiermc
11-18-2009, 07:45 PM
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
www.hhs.gov/secretary/ (http://www.hhs.gov/secretary/)

Then see what branch is under Kathleen Sebelius
www.hhs.gov (http://www.hhs.gov), scroll to HHS Family of Agencies (show details)
click AHRQ- site www.ahrq.gov (http://www.ahrq.gov)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
click contact us - www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstfix.htm#About (http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstfix.htm#About)
this will be U.S. Preventative Task Force
then click Frequently Asked Questions:
1-11
click #10 - Question: Who Uses UPSTF recommendations?
See answer; primary physicians and healthcare insurers

I believe the Sec. of HHS knows the independent panel - because it is right under her governmental department.

Margie
DCIS
Met to Liver 11/08
NED since 1/09
Vaccine

Teacher, Master in Lib. Inf. Science
Mother of 2, son engineer major and daughter, nursing major
(I worked in the government and know a little something about
chain of command in the government branches)

Rich66
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
As it is in the news:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/18/AR2009111802545.html?hpid=moreheadlines

PS. Maybe add to one thread on this issue? Getting kinda scattered.

Laurel
11-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Email or call your congressmen, ditto the White House (not that they will give a damn, but do it anyway) and then....VOTE in the next election. Your life depends on it.

margiermc
11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Scattered?? No, I'm Scared! Do you have breast cancer, Rich??

I was only trying to post that Kathleen Sebelius is Sec. of the Dept., the task force giving guidelines is under her nose.

I traveled to Washington for six months - 24 plane rides, had my last vaccine on Monday - and Tuesday in Dullas Airport Washington DC - the news has the recent guidelines. Thank you, for the Washington Post - I also read the newspapers and watch the news.

The vaccine is the reason why I went on this site, to find other's that received it - and to let other's know about it, comments like this is not needed.

I went to college Rich, had 6 years of education k-6, reading k-12/mast. lib. info. science, I research everything, just like my clinical trial. My husband is a an engineer, my son is 19 in Airforce ROTC 2nd liet., electrical engineer major - no. 10 in his class, my daughter is no. 5 in her h.s. and accepted in major unversities, wants to be a pediatrician.

I seem to have to prove my education on this website, along with intelligence. My breast cancer is an emotional journey - and, it's ridiculous, trying to spread awareness about a vaccine and now this recent guidelines, Im just letting others know, this came out of the seats of our very own government - and your tax dollars paid for it!

Sorry for posting - will not post on this site anymore - I will find more compassionate area's to get emotinoal support.

Margie

DCIS, liver met, NED in 10 Wks.
Clinical Trial - Vaccine in Seattle, traveled from
sunny Tampa, Florida for six months, 24 plane rides, 9 hrs each way, exhausted - tired, but made medical history, for future breast cancer survivors. Proud of Myself!

StephN
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Dear Margie -
Thanks for the posts regarding the link between this "independent panel" and the top of government.

Seems that Rich66 was just suggesting that there were getting to be a lot of threads on this topic of the task force recommendations. Not that you are scattered.

We live in some uncertain times, and those of us with breast cancer have double the uncertainty. Not fair.

I found Sebelius' statement:

"On Wednesday, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius issued the following statement on the new screening recommendations:
"There is no question that the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendations have caused a great deal of confusion and worry among women and their families across this country. I want to address that confusion head on. The U.S. Preventive Task Force is an outside independent panel of doctors and scientists who make recommendations. They do not set federal policy and they don't determine what services are covered by the federal government."
"There has been debate in this country for years about the age at which routine screening mammograms should begin, and how often they should be given. The Task Force has presented some new evidence for consideration but our policies remain unchanged. Indeed, I would be very surprised if any private insurance company changed its mammography coverage decisions as a result of this action."
"What is clear is that there is a great need for more evidence, more research and more scientific innovation to help women prevent, detect and fight breast cancer, the second leading cause of cancer deaths among women."
"My message to women is simple. Mammograms have always been an important lifesaving tool in the fight against breast cancer and they still are today. Keep doing what you have been doing for years -- talk to your doctor about your individual history, ask questions, and make the decision that is right for you," the statement concluded."

I would like to know the purpose of this task force if "they do not set federal policy and they don't determine what services are covered by the federal government."

Why are we paying for this group, which probably changes with each administration anyway?

Rich66
11-18-2009, 11:37 PM
It's ok. I understand that this whole thing strikes a major nerve. Just trying to help everyone converse.