PDA

View Full Version : dcis

mimiflower07
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
my girlfriend just newly diagnosed with dcis is scheduled to have a lumpectomy. We are both like deer caught in the head lights. I'm trying to remain calm and not overload her with info. She has been told she is early . she is very lucky, she can expect almost 100% cure(really upsets me..because now i feel like i have to gently bring her back to earth) So what do i tell her.

Heres the story...found lump in left breast..mamo done only to be told left br is benign but suspicious area in the right br. Further testing confirms dcis br ca right breast.

So Ive questioned her on what they have told her re her pathology report. She was not sure, so she makes a call.
She lives in tronto(i'm in a different city...she and husband with 4yr old just moved to tronto. she knowes no one there) i think I'm gonna cry right now...i feel so sad for her.
They tell her the cells were on there way to growing nothing but its a grade 3. RED FlAG!!!
They explain to her she will know more after her lumpectomy.

After her research she feels that radiation may well be needed f/u with q 6 mth mamo. I want to be supportive
but my brain is going a hundred milles an hour.

What about that left breast...are her breast dense...mamo are not full proof...can they test this early for her2 , er ,pr...help what else do i tell her?
Ive decided to fly out to her just to give her comfort, laughter... But the real task is how aggressive should i be. I really do not want to scare the sh..t out of her then leave. I need facts about dcis.
Please help me ...help her make the best decisions. I know I'm all over the map here but I'm just confused.
Don't know much more. She has family history with other ca not breast. She is 41yrs....
thanks...

Mary Anne in TX
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey Suzanne! Your friend is sooooo lucky to have you! How about just waiting for the path report and then go to work helping her figure things out! For now I think tons of hugs and loves would be just great! You'll know what to do once the information is available. Your brain will kick in gear and she'll have a good ol' "mad dog" advocate by her side to make decisions! You're terrific! ma