PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lani..

Rich66
11-16-2009, 12:45 AM
What's your take on CNS mets and Taxanes (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40421)? Avoid? Supplement w/botswalla blah blah blah for prevention? I'm burning out trying to determine benefit/damage ratio. I am seriously considering benefits of longer term benefits of metronomic approach vs scan demonstrable regression. i.e. whack it or ease it into submission.
Wondering if the delivery approach of this stuff is out of whack. If pre-med glucocorticoids increase chemo-resistance and maximum tolerated dose is less effective than low-dose metronomic regarding agiogenesis and immuno-friendly staying on treatment..
What is going on with so-called standard of care?

Lani
11-16-2009, 01:49 AM
You don't say if you are talking about a few mets or many. If mets few and not too large, I understand SRS (cyber/gammaknife) is usually recommended

If you use the search and put in brain mets Lani you will see I have posted quite abit. I don't think any of the posts involved taxanes.

I did hear Dr. Kerbel in San Diego in October talk about maximum dose taxanes having the opposite effect as metronomic chemotherapy in general
on the endothelial cells of cancer induced new blood vessels, but that did not particularly involve the brain.(saw your posts on my thread about metronomic chemotherapy)

I can't tell you about standard of care as I am not an oncologist, oncologic nurse or anyone who would know what the standard of care is and I did not attend last year's ASCO (only the 2008 ASCO) so anything I heard would be out of date.

See if you can find a good review article in Oncologist (usually an open source journal) or similar journal for clinicians to see what the standard of care is in print.

I have previously posted articles/abstracts on SRS, boswellia , intrathecal herceptin and radioactive iodine treatment if Na/I symporter is present, among others.

Rich66
11-16-2009, 01:59 AM
I am referring to this thread. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40421
i.e. Taxanes: friend or foe