PDA

View Full Version : Still clot probs - port removal tomorrow

StephN
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, I have come to what amounts to a BIG decision for me. After having a port-a-cathater as part of my body for 9 years, I am going to be without for as long as I can.

I am having symptoms of vena cava narrowing where the catheter passes through. Not wanting to let it get as bad as last time, I am not waiting until January as we had tentatively planned.

Been off Herceptin since last December and only have to use my good left arm every 6 weeks or so for labs or scan contrasts.

My vascular surgeon will do an angioplasty to open the vein once the catheter is removed. This is a day patient procedure. Having had both a port replacement and the angioplasty before, I know what to expect, so no butterflies!

And No Herceptin and no port - seems like a new me is emerging!

Let's exchange good thoughts for each other ... http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif

Margerie
11-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Hoping being Portless in Seattle is a nice change for you! Best wishes for a successful procedure Steph :)

schoolteacher
11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Hoping your procedure goes well. Let us know how things go. Miss you.

Amelia

chrisy
11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Steph,
I remember the port problems you've dealt with...Glad to hear you're being de-ported!

Barbara H.
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Good luck tomorrow, Steph.
Barbara H.

StephN
11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks friends. I think the only kind of port I will have near me comes in a bottle and you sip on a chilly winter's evening.

ElaineM
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I hope all goes well !! Take care.

Sheila
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Good luck tomorrow, Steph....you will be the most imPORTant patient they work on! Anxious to meet you in person next month!

whatz
11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
...and here is to no more need for a medical Port for you in the future!!! (though having the other kind on a chilly evening does sound good ;-) )

bejuce
11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
This is wonderful! Portless in Seattle, I like that. Congrats and keep up with the good news!

Joan M
11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Steph,

I can't believe you've had the port for that long. Wow. I had mine for three years and I thought that was a long time. My bc spread six months after it was removed but I haven't had it put in again. For my Herceptin every three weeks, the nurses use my arm.

Joan

vlcarr
11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm so happy for you! I look forward to being Portless in Nashville one day.

I hope your surgery goes well. Sending warm fuzzies your way.

Ceesun
11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Steph-it will be so good to have that port out! Happy for you....when I had mine, I always felt like I had a pop (soda) bottle cap under my skin. Hated that--its funny how different aspects of dealing with bc affects us. May I ask why you are on zometa--do patients get that even with no bone involvement? Ceesun

Mary Anne in TX
11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Hoping all is well and you're portless and happy! ma

ammebarb
11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Sending along my best wishes for your procedure tomorrow too, Steph.

Barb A.